Neurology Expert Forum
Chronic Neurogenic Atrophy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Chronic Neurogenic Atrophy
The pathology on my muscle biopsy indicated that I have nonspecific chronic neurogenic atrophy.   Unfortunately I am unable to see my neurologist for weeks.  What is this?  What are the symptoms?  Where can I find more information--I've been able to find very little on the Internet.  Is further testing involved?  Is it progressive?  How serious is it?
Thanks for your help.
Chronic neurogenic atrophy is a very general, nonspecific term that refers to longstanding abnormal nerve input to muscles resulting in wasting of that particular muscle. The term itself is not enough to make any diagnosis, nor can it accurately describe any symptoms. The path report should have contained much more information such as which fiber type was affected (1,2 0r both), what different muscle fibers looked like under different stains, muscle fiber shape and size, and the presence or absence of other special features that can help physicians better evaluate the muscle pathology. Unless more information is provided such as the details of the path biopsy described above as well as your clinical history and symptoms, it would be inaccurate and unfair to you if I made any further comments.
I'm not quite sure what this is. Can I ask how you became diagnosed with this illness?  What were the systems?
The diagnosis came after the muscle biopsy.  There was general muscle weakness and my rheumotologist ordered an EMG and it showed both muscle and nerve involvement.  Was it related to my sarcoidosis or something else?  Thus, the muscle biopsy was performed.
A related discussion, why do docters tell me i have this but they have only guessed was started.
A related discussion, neurogenic atrophy was started.