Neurology Community
Chronic Sinus Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Chronic Sinus Pain

I have recently seen an ENT specialist about ongoing sinus pain (an ache) that I have been having in my nose and around my eyes for the past year. I do not have the usual symtoms (symptoms) of a sinus infection such as infected mucus or runny nose and I rarely sneeze or have cold symptoms etc. My ENT specialist looked up my nose with a camera and said that he could perform surgery to correct the inside of my nose structurally but he did not know what is causing the pain and did not think that such surgery would make any difference to my symptoms. He recommended that I see a Neurologist. I wanted to know whether it is worth seeing a neurologist about this problem as my GP thought that there was no point. Since seeing my ENT specialist my GP prescribed me Demazin 6hour tablets which does provide some relief unless that pain is really bad. I just dont feel that taking demazin everyday is a good idea or an adequate solution to the problem. The fact that demazin does help somewhat though makes me think that perhaps the pain is allergy related. Is that probable? I need some sort of direction as to what to do...should I see a neurologist?

I would love to hear from anyone who can offer any sort of advice! Thanks Alice
I hope that you have an answer by now. If not, I have a question: your ENT only looked up your nose with a special camera? My ENT looked up my nose with a special camera and sent me to have a special MRI. Regular MRIs done at a hospital often miss things related to the sinuses. I suffered for years with chronic sinus infections without the coughing and sinus discharge. Actually, I was born with part of the problem; the rest I developed later. My primary care physicians (several over the years) thought they could fix me by prescribing drugs for me. Eventually, I finally was allowed a referral to an ENT. Turns out I had several problesm. I have had several surgeries to correct what they can correct. I am glad that I had them.

If you don't have the answers you need by now, get the opinion of a second ENT. I pretty much had the same symptoms you had, but my doctor would not refer me to an ENT until I demanded a sleep apnea test. The sleep doctor insisted I get a referral to an ENT. I was born with OSA and with some abnormalities in my nose and sinuses. I wasn't diagnosed until 54 years after the onset of the initial problems and about 20 years after the onset of the new problems. In addition, it is possible that you have developed neurological problems.  
Have you had dental work such as a root canal done in that area?