Neurology Expert Forum
Chronic lower back and leg pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank

Chronic lower back and leg pain

Posted By DENISE on July 29, 1998 at 18:37:16:

I am a 28 year old female with a history of lower back and left leg pain.  In 1991 I underwent a discectomy/hemilaminectomy on my L5-S1 disk.  The surgery did not relieve my leg or lower back symptoms.  
Recently, after years of very conservative, non-invasive treatments (medication, heat packs, tens unit) I agreed to a caudal epidural injection.  A week after this injection I experienced a DRASTIC increase in my lower back pain and BOTH legs were having symptoms (previously my left leg had radiating/sharp pain).  
MRI's. CT Scans, X-Rays and Bone Scans were done.  These studies showed a large HNP @ L5-S1, severe degenerative disk disease at L5-S1, severe spinal stenosis at the same level and mild spondylolisthesis.  It was suggested that I undergo a microdiscectomy and a possible fusion. (It was also noted that my L4-L5 disk was bulging).
BOTTOM LINE......I AM IN TREMENDOUS PAIN...I TAKE NUMEROUS PAIN MEDS...I ATTEND PHYSICAL THERAPY 2 TIMES A WEEK FOR E-STIM AND HEAT.  I have been told that my symptoms did not improve after my first surgery because the nerves got "tied up in scar tissue".  I am very reluctant to consider a second surgery if success is unlikely and if the majority of my symptoms will not be improved.  I would like to know which of the above listed "problems" CAN improve over time with conservative treatment.  Also, if you could reccomend sources for information on laymen information regarding microdiscectomy and spinal disc conditions I would greatly appreciate it.
I posted a similar message a few months ago but never got a response.
Thank you for your time.