Neurology Expert Forum
Cipro and Sensory Neuropathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cipro and Sensory Neuropathy

Dear CCF,
  I went to a Neurologist because my skin hurt and was burning.
  After he did a Nerve Test he said the Cipro I had taken caused a cutaneous sensory Neuropathy.  Can you explain what that means?
Dear Sally,
Many pharmaceutical agents can cause a peripheral neuropathy.  A sensory neuropathy is one which may cause numbness and tingling sensations that appear in various part of the arms and legs (usually in the feet followed by the hands)or a loss of sensory modalities (pain, light touch, vibration, and joint position). There should not be any weakness with this type of "sensory" neuropathy. It is important to establish a link between the medication and neuropathy, that is,  exposure to the medication should be related to the onset of symptoms. The rate of improvement depends on the initial severity of the neuropathy.  After the EMG and physical exam, your doctor may be able to discuss the severity.  If ever you are interested in getting evaluation at CCF call 1-800-CCF-CARE.  Good Luck.

A related discussion, pain was started.