Neurology Community
Clinical report - Arachnoid cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Clinical report - Arachnoid cyst

Hi there, I wonder if you assist.  Approx 4 years ago, I started to have pins and needles in my fingers and then my feet, which to be honest I ignored.Soon after, had my first 'attack' of syptoms (symptoms), wherby I was admitted into hospital fpr  tests for MS, as the Neurologist was sure this was what it was. Memory, co-ordination, power in limbs on left hand side and ability to sleep all greatly affected.  Secere pins and needles on face, hands, feet and numbness down left hand side of body, with lack of power and easily tired have remained in the last 4 years.  the initial MRI scan showed a small cyst, but no evidence of MS,  LP also carried out, during this time, which was negative. I have taken Amitriptyline to help me sleep, which results in my day time pins, needles etc to be managable.  Recently my doc sent me for another MRI as symptoms steasdily getting worse and increase of dosage no longer working.
The result of my recent MRI scan is:-
There is an enlargement of the supra-verm,ian and probably also quadrigeminal ciste4ns, possible due to a large arachnoid cyst, with flattening of the inferior lying cerebellar vermis and some effacement of its sulci. This sulcal effacement would suggest that the cyst is causing mass effect rather than just a secondary expansion of the CSF space.  The intracranial grey and white matter return normal signal intensity.  The ventricular system, basal cistrns and sulci are otherwise normal in size and configuration. The craniocervical junction and midline structures appear satisfactory. Normal signal flow void was returned from the major intracranial vessels.opinio:- Enlargement of the supra-vermian and quadrigeminal cisterns, possibly due to a large arachnoid cyst resulting in flattening of the cerebellar vermis and some sulcal effacement.  No other abnormality, in particular no evidence of demyelination.

This incidental finding has resulted in my neurologist requesting me to see a neurological surgeon to see if surgery is required. Do you think these findings relate to my symtoms (symptoms), and if so, what do you think the chances are of surgery happening.  This cyst, I am told is lthe same original one, but has grown in size.  Thank you for taking the time to read my question.LA.