Neurology Community
Clipped aneurysm and amusement rides?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Clipped aneurysm and amusement rides?

My husband was found to have a brain aneurysm during a routine brain scan after finding out that he had Polycystic Kidney Disease. The aneurysm was clipped before it leaked or ruptured. He had this done two years ago. The aneurysm had to be clipped because of the shape. We are going to Disney in two weeks. I am nervous about him going on any rollercoasters. He says that it will be totally fine and that I shouldn't worry. I would like to know if he would be in danger of the clip coming undone. Is there any information about this?
Tags: aneurysm
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Cerebral or brain aneurysm is an abnormal widening a brain blood vessel at its weakened area. This may occur as a congenital (present since birth, familial) or may occur later in life due to injury, birth defects, or neurological disorder and it is life-threatening. Common symptoms could be loss of vision, headache, eye and neck pain, seizures, paralysis, gait disturbances etc. Therefore, such activities may be restricted foreseeing the complication and dizziness. I would recommend you discuss this with your treating neurologist as well. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

My husband had brain surgery in April of 09 after a giant  aneurysm  burst in the right frontal lobe.  To my understanding it took 2 clamps to make sure the rupture was closed.  He had some really bad headaches afterwards for several months but with the help of Topimax he no longer has those.  He works for an oil compay as a salesman and field supervisor so he drives all of the time in search of rigs needing things.  He has recently started to notice that, driving down county roads he has driven all of his life and knows like the back of his hand, he becomes confused, his surroundings are no longer familar, and he can not remember where he was going.  He has never blacked out, lost conciousness, or passed out.  He says the confusion never last very long.  He has mentioned this to our family dr, who told him that he is afraid he is having seizures of some sort and is setting up an appointment with a neurologist so some test can be run.  We were not informed that seizures could occur at anytime after he was released from the dr.'s care after surgery.  As a matter of fact the neurosurgeon told both of us "you had the aneurysm, it was repaired and it is like it never happened."  My husband has had absolutely NO parts of his body that have shown any type of affect from the aneurysm or the sugery.  I have read so many articles on seizures after this type of surgery and none seem to fit his symptoms.  My question is:  is there a specific name for what is happening to him?  I'd like to read up on it and how it can be treated or how to care for him.  I find it really strange that the neurosurgeon nor our family dr warned us this could happen.