Neurology Community
Clonazepam Masking symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Clonazepam Masking symptoms

I was searching the internet about Clonazepam masking symptoms when I came across this forum. I too have recently experienced hand cramping and pain after my Clonazepam wasn't refilled in time to continue the medication.  After missing my nightly dosage (I take it for sleep) the next day my right hand was achy and I could feel some pain in my forearm.  The next day, the pain continued in my hand and also began to feel numbness and tingling in my right foot as well. As soon as I took my dosage, the next morning, 90% of the symptoms disappeared.

Prior to this episode, I experienced lower lumbar back pain.  Had an MRI and they found minor things in my lower back and neck.  However, until last month, I hadn't had the back pain.  My back began to ache again about a month ago and I've just been dealing with it.  Then when I went off the Clonazepam cold turkey, I noticed the achy pains in my right hand and foot.  I too have familial ALS in the family.  Of course when the symptoms just seemed to appear overnight, I thought this just can't happen so quickly.  But, I'm wondering if Clonazepam masks certain symptoms. I had EMG testing 2 different times, but the last was back in 2011 and it was done by the ALS clinic who said nothing on the exam indicated ALS. (The reason I had the test was due to similar aches and pains in my right hand/arm and tingling and numbness in my right foot, that eventually subsided.  It does seem these symptoms disappeared after I began taking Clonazepam.)  Coincidence? Or could this medicine mask these issues?

This discussion is related to looking for answers.
I've been on klonopin a long time and read it can cause slowed thinking and memory problems.  it gives me clarity and energy.  what happens if you are on it long term?  there are really negative websites about clonazapem withdrawal