Neurology Community
Cocaine side effects on brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cocaine side effects on brain

I quit cocaine aftet 1.5 years of use 2 months ago when I first notice symptons of mental impairment.  1st week of abstinence I had experienced moderate to severe long term, short term, and cognitive impairments. Then after two weeks later my only the memory function slightly improvved.  The next 4 weeks there was no improvement in memory and cognitive functions.  However last week there was a huge surge of improvements in both short term and long term memory.  I would say my memory is 80 to 90 percent recovered however the higher thought an cognitive functions are not really improving. I went to the doctor and neurologist and had a CT scan, MRI, and EEG test in which all came out normal.  My question is, why was my memory able to recover so quick?  If my brain tissues and wave lengths are normal and there is no damage to my brain then why am I experiencing cognitive deficits? Can this repair itself? If doctors cannot determine any damage then how can I get diagnosed properly?  What exactly is causing these deficits if the frontal lobe region of brain is not damaged. It is to my knowledge that the frontal lobe is responsible for abstract thinking, creativity, learning, and cognitive functions. Please advise
I'm trying to understand why I'm experiencing mental blocks and cognitive impairments when all tests and scans cane out normal.  Not really sure what other tests can diagnose the cause of cognitive impairments.  Over the course of the past two months there has been improvement. Does MRI check for damage to neurotransmitters? I'm curious as to what is the cause for the impairments when doctors cannot see any damage to brain