Neurology Expert Forum
Cognitive Recovery for Subdural Hematoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My father has a severe subdural hematoma, discovered a month after his initial fall.   We were able to treat the injury through the evacauation surgery and my father has regained use of his speech, movement, and occupational areas in the 2 weeks following the surgery.   However, we are concerned on his cognitive abilities, as he has periods of hightened dimensia, and loses track of where he is and where he is at.  

Can anyone comment on their recovery experience, especially cognitive area with such an injury?   Is there anything that we can do to 'spark' the cognitive area, outside of the theraphy we are doing?  Is there any support groups or people that I connect to?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Any injury to the brain can cause cognitive changes that may take time to improve. I would suggest that your father be seen by a neurologist for a thorough evaluation. He may need an EEG of the brain to evaluate the electrical activity to ensure that there is no epileptic (seizure producing) areas.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.