Neurology Community
Cold / burning in both legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cold / burning in both legs

I am a 49 year old woman. About 3 months ago, I experienced the sensation of extreme cold in both ankles. This has progressively spread up my legs and is now in my thighs (although the sensation is more like a burning now than coldness.) I do not get these sensations every day but when I do, both legs are exactly the same. I am relatively active and the burning does not get appear to get worse with exercise. My shoes feel tighter and wearing high heels seems to make it worse.

I only saw my doctor yesterday and he has requested a battery of blood tests. The only physical exam he did was to check the pulses in my feet, which were apparently very good.

I am in a very stressful job and am on fluoxetine 20mg and lorazepan 5mg daily. I also take a lot of OTC painkillers (paracetamol & codeine.) I am also asthmatic.

My doctor has said that this could be neurological or orthopaedic and once I have the results of the bloods, he will refer me to an appropriate consultant.

Obviously, I am worried sick and am thinking the worse (MS, MND, spinal tumour etc.)

Could there be a less sinister explanation?

Jo
From the symptoms these look like parasthesia skin. Causes include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply to the legs as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling in the knee and legs.

You can take multivitamins for some time. Also get your blood sugar tested.

My opinion is to get yourself examined by a neurologist. After confirmatory diagnosis only, treatment can be started.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there.  Burning sensation in the legs is commonly seen in sciatica. This is pain caused due to irritation of sciatic nerve. Usually experienced from lower back, radiating towards the thigh and knee. Long standing diabetes also increases the predilection for burning sensation in legs. The affected nerve leads to pain, numbness, burning sensation in legs etc., other condition is blood clot formation in any of the deep blood vessels present in leg may also cause burning sensation in legs at night. This is deep vein thrombosis. The other cause could be vitamin B12 deficiency, over exercise, nerve compression, fibromyalgia, nerve trauma, varicose veins and bone fracture. Treatment would involve rest, tight blood sugar control if diabetic, affected limb elevation while you sleep, massage, alcohol and tobacco abstinence and over the counter painkillers may help. Hope this helps. Take care.

Thank you both for your replies. They were very helpful and reassuring.

One month on and I'm still experiencing the same burning sensations in both legs. I find that when I'm active, the sensations go (or I don't notice them) but the day after I've exerted myself, they get worse.

I've had some bloods done and the fasting glucose test showed impaired glucose hyperglycemia. As far as I know, everything else was normal but I'm seeing my GP on Friday. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with the opposite problem - reactive hypoglycemia - and had a glucose tolerance test and various pancreatic scans etc. done.

Could my current problems with my legs be associated with the blood sugar problems? As my husband said, the fasting glucose test was just one reading, so I probably need to have my blood glucose levels monitored.

I spoke to my GP on the phone and he said that he didn't think there was a link. What kind of specialist should I ask for a referral to when i see the GP this week? A neurologist or a diabetologist or endocrinologist?

I'm also aware that anxiety could be making this a lot worse!

Thank you

Jo