Neurology Community
Cold spot on skin

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cold spot on skin

Hello to all,

I have developed unusual cold spots throughout my body.  It began about 2 months ago in November.  It started with cold sweaty feet.  I work in an air conditioned office, yet my feet would sweat profusely and constantly be cold.  I better shoes, socks and now apply talk daily to control the moisture which has elevated that part reasonably well.  The cold persisted however.  Strangely it feels only cold on the surface of the skin for the most part in smaller patches raging from about the circumference of golf ball to the size of a large orange.  It feels like I had an ice bag in one spot for a few minutes.  Almost feels a little numb, very cold like one would imagine the onset of frostbite would feel.  At first it started in parts of the feet, like the surface, the ankle, sometime just above the ankles on either side.  It then moved up to shins, thighs, forearms to the point where I feel these cold spots everywhere.  They vary from place to place and seem to be expanding.  Today I feeling it in about 7-8 spots around my body such as the knee, foot ankle, elbows, forearms and right eyelid.  Feels very uncomfortably cold, yet is not cold to the touch and no discoloration.  I’ve been drinking a little too excessively and regularly lately and have struggled with alcohol for many years.  I fear it may be related.  Alcohol related neuropathy was my fear but those specific symptoms alone doesn’t seem to fit the profile.  My doctor doesn’t seem to think it’s a circulation related and does not know what to make of it.  He is aware of my consumption issues.  I’m also on the antidepressant, Wellbutrin and have been taking it for over 6 months. Doesn’t appear to be one of the side effects. Anyone out there having similar symptoms or have any idea what this may be?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I’m getting quite concerned.  

Avatar n tn
vrman, I have been experiencing a weird cold  like sensation, kind of feels like someone poured cold water on my left foot big toe or maybe i stepped in cold water for a moment.I have been tested and am not diabetic, i do drink but not heavily. I have not seen a doctor for this condition yet but have been advised that it may be a known circulitory condition.  
About a week ago I started feeling a cold spot on my upper leg.  About the size of a large grapefruit.  Not everyday.  Just sometimes.  Feels like you said - like there was an icepack on it.  Haven't seen a doctor yet.  Know that you're not alone.  I am not on any kind of meds and nothing has changed in my life or health so I have no idea what may cause this sensation.
Avatar n tn
I have a cold spot on my right shin that comes and goes. It just started a couple days ago. The first time it happened, I reached down to touch it, expecting some water had splashed on me. There was nothing on my leg. I rubbed it and it seemed to go away, but it came back. I cannot tell if it is cooler to the touch than other parts of my leg. If it is, it is very slight. I tend to be cooler than most, anyway. Your message let me know that I'm not alone. I just had a baby and have not had a sip of alcohol in more than a year.
Avatar n tn
I have been having pain in both my elbows and the ball of my foot. Then a cold spot appeared on my right bicep which also has pain in it. It is actually palpably cool. It felt like my shirt was wet and surprised me when I felt it and it was dry. I haven't seen a doctor yet as we just lost our health insurance. Whoopeee!!
Avatar n tn
Has anyone gone to thr nero about it?   I have the same thing happening.  I just had a baby also....I was just on IV steriods.  They didn't work.  Shoertly after the steriods the cold sensations started in the left side of my face then it runs thru my right hand and then my forarm.   Has anyone gotten meds for it.  I also get an electic throb that runs in my face.  Does anyone experance that?  
I feel like I'm going crazy!  A few weeks ago I started to ge this weird sensation on my right upper thigh and groin area!  It feels like I put ice packs on the areas and it burns like when your foot goes to sleep pins and needles! Wet cold sensation! No one believes me.   K piper  NJ
Avatar n tn
I suffer from exactly the same thing!! I have MS (multiple sclerosis) and my neuro tells me this has nothing to do with it and basically says he doesn't know what it is. I feel like he doesn't believe me... feel like how I was many many years ago when suffering from other symptoms and told it was in my head, and many years later we discovered it was 'literally' in my head by the way of lesions...

Anyway, I'd like to share my symptoms with this as it happened to me again last night which is why I am now searching for others who have experienced this and was hoping someone may have been diagnosed with something as it's damn frustrating when doctors and neurologists look at you as if you have two heads and think you make it up. If only they could experience it then they to would be concerned and want to know what it is that's causing it.

My first experience with this was a few years ago. My first extreme cold spot was right in the centre of my chest. It woke me up and it was summer time, I was dressed and even had the sheets etc; over me. Yet there was this spot so cold it was like I'd had an icepack on it. The whole area gets that feeling you get from leaving an icepack on too long where it's numb but it also pains! I tried everything to get that part warm and nothing worked. It disappeared after a few hours and I told my GP and neuro and they shrugged their shoulders and I was told not MS.

Next episode I woke again with it on the back of one leg. Even the sheets underneath that section were like a block of ice. Once again couldn't get it warm. This was in winter and I was completely covered up and extremely warm everywhere else. It also disappeared the next day. A few months after that the other leg got it and last night my left forearm and hand had it. I put on thermal gloves and heated heat packs and wrapped my forearm in it but still nothing really works. It warmed it a bit to stop that burning cold feeling but it was still extremely cold. Today it is gone again!!! I've had the chest one twice now as well.

It really is frustrating not knowing what is causing this. If it's not MS, then what the hell makes it happen. I get so sick and tired of medical professionals telling you there's nothing wrong. If only these things happened during the day I would go to the GP and say feel this. To which I'm sure her hand would come leaping off my skin pretty quickly given it's absolutely freezing, not cold, but freezing...

Out of curiosity Piepiper, do you have MS? or any other autoimmune disease? Also is there anyone else suffering this that has been diagnosed with MS or any other autoimmune disease?

So please keep me informed if any of you get a diagnosis of any kind.
Three weeks ago i started getting some numbness and tingling in toes on my left foot. within a few days i had it on both feet and hands, then a bit on left side of face and all round my neck and back of head.

Over the last week, the tingling sensation has gone and while the numbness comes and goes, i have the same cold patches that you all describe.

I went to see my GP two weeks ago and I've had an MRI and no problems there.  I've had blood tests and nothing wrong so far.  The GP says its stress related.  My neck is very tight so it could be some pinched muscles or nerves etc.  

I'm also having a lot of trouble sleeping since this, not sure why but like iceblock said, im sick of doctors telling me there is nothing wrong.  The cold and numb patches are driving me nuts.

I'm back at the GP next week, will let you know if I get any more information.
One last thing I thought of, I've been prescribed Nasonex for hayfever and I've stopped taking it since Ive had these symptoms.  I've also experienced anxiety attacks which ive never had before - and cant think of any reason why I'd have them.

This is what other patients have experienced using this spray.  It might provide some clues for others who are using this or something similar.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20762&name=NASONEX
I don't wish to be another unsolved case, however it was comforting to know that I'm not just "cold".  These cold spots have attacked all areas of my body at one point or another.  Today it's my left bicep and my right and left anterior thighs and my right foot.  Today is certainly not one of my better days with this problem. I am wrapped in a blanket at my desk with a small floor heater blowing on me and I can feel the cold through the blanket on my leg.  My doctor is sending me for testing next week, she's worried I may have some type of Muscular Dystrophy?  I had an MRI with normal results.  I have no chronic conditions, I am active healthy 36yr old.  We need answers.  I'm going to print this and bring it to my doctor.
Avatar n tn
About a week ago I started to feel a cold spot on my upper thigh. I am very active, 61 years old, and although I was diagnosed with crohn's disease it has been inactive for over 25 years. I go for regular yearly checkups and have no medical problems at all and I'm not on any medications other than over the counter allergy meds, nose spray, etc. I feel kind of silly going to a doctor for a cold spot that occurs only a few times a day. Has anyone been told anything other than this being a vein, circulation, etc. and has anyone been sent for further tests? Thank you. Mary
Avatar n tn
I had similar problem.... Feel cold patches on some parts of my body especially in the morning, and at night will be slight burning sensations.  Sometimes its painful and sometimes not.  Went to doc and took vitamin B complex and just after 2 days taking it, 90% of all the problems above are gone!
May be u all can try to check for Vitamin B deficiency especially B12
I am happy to see I am not crazy- I have a patch on my right leg on teh right side- feels cole- like there is "icy hot- or Ben gay" on it.  I am very healthy- I am a Tri-athlete, do not drink or smoke, do not have high blood pressure, I stretch- and eat a balanced diet- I take fish oil, a calcium/magnesium supplement, and  a "B' multi vit.  
My patch is constant- feels like the ice spot is there all the time- clothes touching or not- makes no differance- If anyone gets an answer- please, please post.
I am glad to know that I am not crazy and this is a serious issue that we are discussing here.

I have a similar explanation about the cold spots on body - mild numbness, sweating on the area, soft and cold to touch. I have this spot appeared on the side of my little pinky's big 1st knuckle where the palm joins the finger. It does not pain, neither it is has become insensitive, but its just a weird kind of sensation in that area. I have licked the spot and found that it is salty in taste (no it is not dirty, but yes it could be the sweat taste, if I lick any other part of my hand its just appears normal blank) I don't have complains about it but I am keen to know whats going on. I have no history of alcohol or drug abuse, but I am have thyroid deficiency and I have been taking thyroxin for past 10 years or so. I am 29 female.
I'm a healthy 42 year old female who has for the last week started experiencing an ice spot on my rear , at first I thought I had sat on a drop of water , obviously i hadnt and i have has this experience many times since ,weird. I do often have very cold hands and feet and often feel cold when everyone else is warm . A symptom I see a few others seem to have , Maybe if many more people post their symptoms we could establish a pattern ourselves as it appears GP.s are not having much success with a diagnosis ..
I had the same symptoms!  After a year someone told be about adrenal fatigue. I had a year of terrible stress. After the stress was gone my adrenals went crazy. I had cortisol spikes, or so I think, causing boosts in norephinephrine --> vasoconstriction --> numb patches throughout body. I also noticed very tight muscles - neck, back, upper arms, etc..  Then after a couple of months I had adrenal insufficiency - extreme fatigue, heart palpitations, nausea. Now I'm back to having tight muscles and cold spots throughout my body as well as mild swelling (wake up with bad creases from the sheets in my skin, sock lines, etc... Here's my blog about it. I'm still kind of boggled about my symptoms and have also had an MRI that came back clean: http://****.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/numbness-tingling-on-right-side-of-body/
Like you I don't drink or smoke,
To all the others I have ME and started on the B12 injections which I had for over 3 months mainly on a weekly basis, I have a cold patch on my inner thigh, not a place that would usually get cold. It is not a product of the ME because I have had that for years but the cold patch is ony a recent event. I'd have thought it'd be more likely to be MS related as it sounds neural. I don't have varicose veins and regularly take supplements to improve health generally, apart from the ME I was severely Vit D deficient and have suffered anaemia, both now under control. Would love to know cause as well
Sounds like what I have got, ive been for a MRI, nerve tests and found Ive got the following problems.

Herniated Disc problem, the disc is pressing on one of the nerves in my neck giving me a pinched nerve. the cold wet thing is the nerve sending wrong information to my brain. Ive been getting nerve pulses from my neck to my finger and weird sensations and a hole lot of pain and weakness in my shoulder to my fingers. You best off seeing a doctor.
not sure if you got the last message, only new to this.

go to the doctor, its a possible nerve issue, I have Herniated Disc which presses on one or my nerves and it sends the wrong information to my brain.  As im typing this Ive got a cold shoulder which feels like someone pouring cold water of it.

Ive had MRI - thats when there found the disc problem. Nerve ending tests done, found problem with a muscle tissue in my upper arm and then with one of the main nerves from my neck to my fingers it give cold, numb, pulsating, pins n needles, burning and major pain when i use it, not at the same time its intermittent does my head in, also feels numb and im losing strength in the left arm.
I have the same symptoms and just started investigating myself. I did come down with Raynaud's in my fingers and I think its going to my toes. I also feel these colds spots in random areas. I do not have MS, was a smoker and drink coffee and diet soda for a long time. I am going to look into the soda.
Did you find out anything? I have recently come down with these also. Thanks
Haven't used it and have the symptoms. What about diet soda?
I am a 55 year old athletic female. I have experienced for over 10 years alternating cold patches through out my body. Most consistantly it is my right upper butt cheek. The annoying part is that the cold is Sooo deep and almost incapacitating. No amount of clothing can diminish the sensation. Doctors dismiss and 2 neurologists implied I must be imagining the sensation.  If there is no diagnosis/treatment  at least how do we manage it. Often if I just ignore it....I get sick the next day or so.
If no one has ever heard of this, maybe we should come up with some really cool name for it. That way it doesn't get stuck with something like... introscotomasticalothomy.
I'm glad to have discovered this conversation. I, too, have been experiencing an extreme cold spot. Mine is on the back side of my left upper arm. The first time I felt it (around 2 weeks ago) it felt so cold I thought my shirt sleeve had somehow gotten wet. I've found that wrapping my upper arm in a sweater or other warm fabric helps. (Probably a heating pad would, too, but I haven't tried it.) Anyway, the cold spot came on around the same time as other weird sensations including numb lower legs, pins and needles in hands and feet, an electrical kind of "trumming" feeling inside my body that sometimes feels like it's vibrating from head to toe; other times in a more more limited / localized area. And tinnitus which I've had 24/7 for a couple of months (which I can tune out during the day when there's other noise but at night & early morning when the room is entirely quiet, the ringing/hissing in my ears is ongoing).

From all the research I've done, my combined symptoms sound like MS. I went to a neurologist last week; had a head and neck MRI this morning (40 minutes - it was wild); had blood tests done which show a significant D3 deficiency and cortisol out of whack). A B12 test was not included in my initial blood panel so went back for that test; now awaiting the results from that and MRI. Will post outcome when I know more.

I appreciate all the information that's been shared by others on this site. Like many have said, it helps a little to at least know I'm not alone...
About 2 months ago I was outside in the yard and felt a wet droplet on my left eyelid.  I thought a sprinkler was on or bird had peed and the wind blew the droplet on my eyelid :)  I felt it with my finger but there was nothing there.  The sensation of a cold water drop on my eyelid persists, on and off since then.  On a hunch I Googled the symptom and found this forum.  What a strange thing for so many to experience.  Right now it feels like a drop of water, mint or bit of Bengay is sitting on the lid and soaking through.  No substance or cold patch is detectable with my finger.  In fact it goes away with warm finger pressure, but I can't live with my finger pressed to my eyelid.  Anyone ever get any answers as to what is causing this?  I hope the feeling doesn't spread.
About 2 months ago I was outside in the yard and felt a cold droplet on my left eyelid.  I thought a sprinkler was on or a bird peed and the wind blew it into my face :) .  When I felt it with my finger there was nothing there.  Since then, the feeling of a water droplet, mint or a dot of Bengay on my left eyelid persists on and off.  It goes away with a warm finger press, but I can't live with my hand to my eye all the time.  On a hunch I Googled the symptom and found this forum.  What a strange sensation for so many people to have?  Has anyone found an explanation yet?  Does anyone's doctor have a guess?  
do u have a short leg
to ZeldathePom... my feeling EXACTLY except it is the right eyelld... fr several days now.. feels like liquid... wet or bleeding.. but not... no other symptoms... weird... :-(
omg it's my right eyelid too.... soooo annoying. What is it?  I also get the electrical "trumming" in my body... that has come and gone for years.
To whom it may concern,

I have had a lasting tingling, moderately painful and some cold spots here and there on mainly my left arm, less on the right. It happened suddenly. After a stressful 2 years without holiday and a grind in my homeland of Australia I managed to get the hell out for 5 weeks to my dream property which I purchased several years ago in the Philippines. I am et to develop the property and leave my hell hole homeland permanently. So after unwinding for 3 weeks, I happened to be at a waterfall. I threw both arms in the air as I plunged in to the waterhole at the base. I instantly felt pinched nerves or something. Both arms were affected and for a bit I thought I was cramping and swam to the side in case I drowned. It's been three days now. After much symptom sorting, including affects of coffee, my only vice, I can only assume it is as a result of a whole lot of tight muscles in the upper back and neck reliving themselves and my posture change from many years of tension has played on some pinched nerves. I will relax until things return to normal. Therefore, my suggestion is that since no one seems to be dying of heart attacks after scans and what not, I assume that most of you have tight muscles in the back of the neck or temple of where ever because your life ***** like mine. Anyway, I'm working on getting out of town and so should you. Maybe your job or relationship *****. Usually you are putting up with some sort of unbearable **** of some sort.
I am 37 no previous health issues, all blood work perfect. I have cold spots on my face that feel like cold dead hands touching my face. back in April my fingers turned purple(but never again) I had some pain in the days that followed pain stopped,I have had numbness in my head, pins and needles in my feet, tingling g pain around eyes, the feeling of  bugs crawling on my arm. imaginary hairs on my face, facial burning, tightness in  one side of my face, feeling mentally crumbled- cannot focus.  general feeling of static in my head- only way to explain it-Five months I have all of these symptoms and my doctor was reluctant to send me to neurologist he did EMG and found nothing, any ideas as to what this may be? I feel my doctor does not listen or take me seriously, I have a nuro appointment in Oct at a very good hospital, I am worries this may be MS any thoughts?
I have ms and also have developed a cold area on my right arm i do take ibuprofen 200mg it does help a bit
Just typed in my symptom of cold wet spot inside knee and up came this site...I am not the only one! It was so weird...felt like something was pouring in on my knee but it was dry....I have a lot of health problems, B12, bi-weekly, anemic, deaf, vertigo, but this is truly weird. Makes sense that it is nerve issues.
OMG!!!! I have MS and was wondering the same thing.  I have an ice cold feeling on my knee and it feels like someone is pourin ice cold water on my knee.  I wish I knew what caused it.  I thought it was MS related.  If it is not MS related, what is it
Hi, just curious, were your symptoms located at random points over the body or in one general area? I have the same symptoms as you, I woke up with a heavy right arm which turned to tingling. That stopped then tingeling in the right arm. One episode of tingeling in the right leg. Two hospital visits and I was given the all clear p, I have been referred to a neurologist and have to wait another week for that appointment. Since then I get random hot sensations on random patches of my body and sometimes cold sensations. I am very worried but also hoping for a OK outcome and trying to stay positive.
I wrote this and not sure that it got thru..  I had various cold spots and pains seemed to start lower legs, knees, thigh, mostly right upper arm/shoulder/neck..  Have found if I put Aspercream(works best) or BenGay and it takes pain away for hours or days at a time.   I do Not drink or smoke   69 yrs old and only take thyroid med.   My mother in law had similar pains and found she had gastro parasite and antibodiotics took care of that.   I took herbal remedies and helped too.   I thought of going to Dr but cant afford all those tests.  

LindyLu99