Neurology Community
Color of CSF

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Color of CSF

For a diagnosis of MS or any other Neurological Condition, is it possible for the CSF to abnormal levels such as gamma globulin and protein levels and still be clear in color?  Is MS considered an Infectious Disease, and if so would that cause the CSF to be cloudy?  I have another three weeks before I get my final test results from it, and find myself very confused...Please Help!!!!!
Hi.

First of all, please try and stay calm. I understand how the confusion and thought of possibly having multiple sclerosis (MS) might be affecting you, but your anxiety could aggravate any symptoms you may have.

Can you describe to us what you are experiencing in terms of your symptoms? When did they start? What other tests (MRI? CT scan?) have been done?

There are many conditions that could make the color of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) cloudy (turbid), including the presence of white blood cells (WBC), protein, as well as microorganisms. However, having CSF that is clear in color can, theoretically, occur in neurological conditions such as MS if the protein levels are only mildly elevated.

Multiple sclerosis is not an infectious disease. However, if the protein levels are elevated significantly in the CSF, the color could turn cloudy, just like in infections.

I would advise you to wait calmly for the results as there is no absolute certainty right now that the CSF findings would be either normal or abnormal.

Good luck.