Neurology Expert Forum
Concussion effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Concussion effects

I received a concussion on April 7th, and at first I seemed okay, my main complaint was the broken ribs and the pain that came along with them.  After about a week and a half, the left side of my face became numb.  The left side of my body was the impact side.  My doctor ordered a CT Scan which showed a berry aneurysm, in light of this, my concussion became secondary.  I'm concerned because my balance is getting worse when I first get up from a sitting or laying position, I stumble a bit before I seem to get my feet working.  I've noticed that this is occurring more often.  Is this just a probable side effect from the concussion?  I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon this week, and I'm not really sure if it's just for the aneurysm only or if he will be interested in the concussion effects also.  I actually feel that the aneurysm is now secondary in the respect that, we know it's there, and will take care of it.  The numbness and balance issues truly worry me especially with my future employment.  The job I have requires lifting heavy objects, and I'm not sure I want to do that while I'm stumbling around trying to get my balance.  How long can something like this last?  Thanks, Donna
Dear Donna:

Sorry to hear about your concussion and the finding of the berry aneurysm.  I would suggest a MRI with MRA to confirm the aneurysm and it's location, size, etc.  Athough aneurysms can be caused by trauma, I would think thank you have probably had yours prior to the concussion.  The numbness and balance issues are likely due to the concussion.  The MRI might also help identify if the trauma has completely resolved.  It might identify if there is some inner ear damage.  I might some time for all the symptoms of your concussion to resolved.  The time is individual and alot depends on how bad the concussion.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
About 6 months ago I began to see floaters (which have been explained to me by an opthamologist).  At the same time I have also started to see flashing and moving sparkles (especially in flourescent lighting or in a bright sky).  I do not see these in the dark, and I have to stare for a few seconds in order for them to appear.

I have seen 2 neurologists and an opthamologist.  None of them have been able to explain this to me.  

My questions are:

1.) How long do floaters take to fade away?  
2.) Should I be worried about these dots?
3.) The opthamologist said my eyes are find-how is this possible?

Any help would be appreciated!
Dear Wade:

The floaters are viteous particles and they will never go away.  The flashes of light are changes in your retina.  Since your opthamologist does not find anything at all in your dilated eye exam with your retina the flashes of light are probably a benign occurance.

CCF Neuro MD
The opthamologist told me the floaters would eventually fade away.  Is this not the case?

Also the moving sparkles are visible only when looking into a bright and plain background.  They are numerous and very tiny.  They are not visible in low level lighting or at night.  Does this sound like something he or the neuorologist would have picked up on exam?

Thanks,
Wade
A related discussion, minor head injury was started.