Concussion/maxillary sinus problem
In August I was hit on the right side of my head just above my ear during fire department training with a 10 foot long steel filler pipe.  I went to the ER and they said I had a concussion (moderate) and a cervical sprain.  I lost consciousness after being hit for about 4 minutes and vomitted two times when I came to.  I have since had headaches every day and it feels like there is something pulling on the right side of my face, as if it is pulling on my eyelid and cheek back towards my ear.  I consulted a neurologist who had an MRI done last week.  The results were clear except that it was noted that I have right sided maxillary sinus inflammation and a large amount of retained fluid.  I have never had a problem with sinuses or allergies of any type before.  I am a fairly healthy 40 year old and do not have any medical problems that I am aware of.  Is it possible that the concussion fractured the wall of the maxillary sinus cavity, and if so would this cause the retention of fluid and the thickening of the walls as the MRI indicated?  I am concerned about this and I don't go to see the neurologist until the end of the month.    Thanks for any help you can give me in advance.
Hi.

It is possible that your symptoms may be related to a maxillary sinus fracture.  If present, it would probably have been directly caused by the blunt force trauma and not by a concussion.

You could also consult an ENT physician to evaluate your symptoms.

Good luck.