Neurology Expert Forum
Confused and Concerned

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Confused and Concerned

I know I shouldn't "self" diagnose myself, but I'm trying to find some answers here. About 8 weeks ago or so, I spent some long hours working on a roof on a very hot day. The next day, I felt shaky, with alot of muscle twitches all over. Since then, I have had a general weak feeling in the legs and arms, and the body as a whole. Currently, my symptoms are small muscle twitches in the legs, arms, back, chest, just about everywhere. Sometimes a tingling, or burning in my feet and arms. Other then the shaky feeling and muscle twitches, I have noticed no other symptoms such as cramping, or dropping items or tripping and falling. My muscle tone seems to be the same, and range of movement also. My ability to lift and walk/run seem unaffected.

I am currently seeing a chiropractor for pain in the lower back and between the shoulder blades. It seems to have helped a little. Also, I just have had a complete physical, and my doctor did not notice anything out of the ordinary with my muscles and the abiity to move them. He has put me on Effexor XR for anxiety and depression. Still waiting for the blood work.

So here I am. I am a little concerned about some type of neuromusclular disease. MS, MD, ALS, or others. Should I be? Could these symptoms be related to stress, pinched nerves in the back, anxiety? The more I read, and research, to more I see symptoms that match what I feel, and the more I worry. Would a visit to a neurologist be in order? I would assume if my doctor suspected anything, he would have suggested it.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Mike.
It is impossible for me to provide an accurate diagnosis over the internet. It is possible that the symptoms you developed 8 weeks ago was related to physical exertion or mild heat stroke. That being said, I would have expected the symptoms to have resolved by now. The symptoms you are describing are fairly non-specific and can be seen in many neurologic disorders, as well as stress. However, if this is concerning you then consultation with a neurologist is reasonable. Even if your primary doctor did not find any abnormalities, a consultation is an effective way to confirm this. The neurologist will examine you and then make recommendations regarding furhter evaluation. Good luck
Well I went to the doctor 3 months ago complaining of sharp head pains and dizziness, after that I developed twitching among many more things, my doctor had a cat scan done of my brain and he told me that if they didn't find anything in the cat scan, I'd have to see a neurologist. Twitching is definitely a neurological thing, so in my opinion your doctor should have suggested it. Maybe you should wait a little while and see if it continues or gets worse, then go see another doctor.

***@****
I'm sorry, I should add that im 38 years old, in relativly good health, aside from alergies (allergies) of all sorts, work out 2 or three times per week, although not as of late simply because I just can't seem to get myself to do it. No familly history of any diseases, other then my mother who has diabetes.

Did you have any blood work drawn at the time of your physical?  If you think that these symptoms may have been related to your long hours of work on the rooftop during a hot day, you may have been dehydrated and your electrolytes could be somewhat off (that is, things like Sodium level, for example).  
Also, if you were very dehydrated any renal insufficiency or, perhaps, transient renal failure could lead to a buildup of toxic metabolites in your system which could, theoretically, linger around for a bit of time and cause you to have these symptoms.  All in all, I'd suggest that if your symptoms do not get much better to have a set of blood work done, such as routine electrolytes, magnesium level, renal function, etc. to see if everything is normal.  

If your symptoms are mainly small muscle twitches all over the body, a CT head may be of no value -- your story does not sound like MS or anything similar to it.  I'd also test for Lyme disease and if you feel progressively weak in your legs/arms, have your doctor (preferrably a neurologist) test for Guillain Barre Syndrome which could have an insiduous onset of 1-2 weeks.

Good luck.
I wanted to say to you, that while you definitely should not "self-diagnose", you should take responsibility for getting yourself the answers you need. Too many people rely on doctors who have a gazillion patients (they are trying to make a living too) who may not have a personal interest in You. Keep on trying to get an answer, and sometimes that means helping the doctors out a little by getting them to think of syndromes or diseases they may not have remembered to consider. Do some research yourself. It might help out your physician.