Neurology Expert Forum
Confused on MRI results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Confused on MRI results

Posted By C.C. on March 21, 1999 at 09:22:17:

Dear Doctor: Can you please help me make sense of this MRI result? On one hand, it seems to say the small spots are nonspecific and don't appear to be consistent with MS, yet on the other hand it says there are spots in areas I've read ARE consistent with MS (subcortical white matter and in the deep white matter)....this really sounds contradictory!
Report reads:
Two small nonspecific punctate areas of t2 hyperintensity in the cerebral hemispheres. One of these is in the subcortical white matter of the right parietal region. The other is in the deep white matter of the left frontal lobe adjacent to the frontal horn of the lateral ventricle. These white matter findings are not typical of the demyelinating plaques in mutliple sclerosis. These appear most consistent with the nonspecific white matter changes seen in the spectrum of normal variation.
My personal thoughts: I know it says it doesn't look like ms-type lesions, but aren't these areas where ms usually is found?? It doesn't add up.

Also, my doctor agreed to repeat it in six more months (it would be one year from original scan), but just found out I'm pregnant. Is it o.k. to have the scan done during pregnancy?  If MS is what the problem is, I want to start something as soon as this baby is born.
Your advice is appreciated.

1 Comment
A related discussion, help with MRI readings was started.