Neurology Community
Confusion following Open Heart Surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Confusion following Open Heart Surgery

Last August I had Open Heart Surgery due to my Congestive Heart Failure. This was caused by my defective Mitral Valve. During the Open Heart Surgery they did a repair and one Bypass. I was told toward the end of the procedure and once my heart was started and before the surgeon closed, he was not pleased with the functionality  so I went back on the ByPass machine to be tweaked. Long story short it then took 4 days for me to come to. Yhe last thing I remember is after being prepped (Shaved) for the surgery, the Nurse said she was going to get my family to come in and say our goodbyes  The next thing I knew it was 4 days Post Op. When I woke up I did not know where I was nor what had happened. My wife told me I had been in a non responsive state for the past 4 days. She answered my questions I asked over and over again. Gradually I regained my senses. I was in the hospital about 8 days and resumed my recovery with Cardiac Rehab etc. 90 days later I attempted to go back to work but ended up being let go from my job and then my next job saying I was unable to carry out the responsibilities of the jobs.  I have been dealing with short term memory loss ever since surgery. I cannot verbalize my level of frustration. I have now applied with Social Security for early retirement and Disability as I just turned 62. Next week I have to see a Psychologist chosen by Social Security to evaluate my mental state.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  I am at a dark place and very unsure of what the future holds other than knowing I am not the person I was before the surgery,