Neurology Expert Forum
Connection between seizures and PTSD
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Connection between seizures and PTSD

Is there a connection between seizure disorders and PTSD? I am a 32 year old woman who had a seizure in late August 2005. I have a history of PTSD due to childhood sexual abuse. The PTSD is a very substancial part of my life that I am actively working on it in therapy. Ever since  I confronted my father (5 years ago)I have worked to manage my behavior/trauma reaction in my life. In late August I had the seizure, was rushed to the hospital. My cat scan and mri came back normal but the eeg was abnormal, showing misfirings in one hemisphere of my brain. I asked my neurologist about this and he said, in laymans terms, that in about half of seizures, doctors do not know what caused them. My doctor thinks that the PTSD played a part in my seizure. My therapist, who is in no way trying to diagnose my seizure disorder, said that in her experience with PTSD (25 years), the amount of adrenaline that your body pumps out during the manic phases can become toxic to your body. Her husband is the head of the local ER. I had been living under extreme conditions for the past few years and wonder if that contributed to the seizure. There have been no ill effects since the seizure and my doctor is amazed at the level I'm functioning. I am currently on Klonopin and will have another eeg in January. If the eeg is normal, I wish to discontinue with the drug since it is addicting but want to establish more productive ways to manage my PTSD. Is there any documented history of the connection of PTSD and seizure disorders? Thanks