Neurology Community
Constant Brain fog, Pressure, Dizziness, Neck Pain - Please HELP!!!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I was a typically healthy 22 y/o f prior to 2 months ago when these strange symptoms started popping up -
Everything was fine one day, and out of nowhere for no peticular reason I had a strong sensation of dizziness, not vertigo but more like a drunk, whoozy, rocking motion (similar to being on a boat I guess).  Since this occurred 2 months ago it has been CONSTANT. I wake up dizzy, go to sleep dizzy, and it is absolutely killing me because I'm so scared of what it can be.  This dizziness is also accompanied with horrible brain fog,  as in my mental clarity is just not what it was. It's taking it's toll on my ability to think clearly and remember things I should - I feel like my head is stuffed with cotton or something.  I've also been suffering from a tense pressure that moves from my forehead to the back of my head and down my neck, recently I've had a horrible stiff neck/shoulders/upper back that will not let up. I also feel a sense of tingling or swollenness in my cheeks as well as the bridge of my nose that comes and goes. And when laying down I can actually feel my heartbeat in my head, like a pulsing, its a very scary sensation to say the least. I should also mention that the dizziness seems much worse when I'm laying down or stationary, when walking it is actually better. I also have been getting weakness in my knees like they're going to buckle, but that might be from stress related to all of this. Never even a slight fever and clear ct scan of head so doc's denied meningitis. When the symptoms started I was also seen by an ENT who saw my left ear was clearly infected and had a retracted eardrum/fluid build up in middle ear, she said this was probably causing my dizziness and pressure so I opted to have her put a tube in as she said it would help.  It didn't... 2 weeks after the tube and all symptoms still here if not worse than before. She also put the "headaches" and dizziness down to sinus pressure and sent me on my way with nasocort, antibiotics, mucinex D and similar decongestants - Even steroids (Although I must admit the side effects scared me and I did not end up taking them).  Of course none did anything to solve the problem.  I then went to the E.R in a state of panic, scared I was dying or brain tumor/meningitis/absess.  They took bloodwork, chest x-ray, head ct scan, sinus ct scan, blood cultures. All came back normal except doctor said the report for the Ct sinus showed minor polyps in sinuses and some swelling of the lining, although claims this would not be causing my symptoms and the scan was otherwise fine.  He then very coldly told me he thinks it's M.S (Mutiple Sclerosis)...which has made me a nervous wreck... I asked him if it was possibly a acoustic neuroma (tumor) because all my symptoms match for the most part but he said this is very rare and he doubts it. I have an appointment with a neurologist in about a week as well as an MRI with contrast to rule out M.S (which is looking more and more like the dx) or tumors  I spend all night online searching for answers or comfort but I never get any..I've been so scared and depressed, crying almost everyday because I almost don't even want to know what they will find. I have no history of migraines, and couldn't even tell you if that's what I'm having because I've never had a headache in my LIFE before this all started, and I doubt migraines could cause the constant dizziness or brain fog, So I really don't know. I feel like I should be on 'house' haha. I'm just so scared and would love to talk to someone about this to try to find some answers!  Thanks for reading, I know it was long!
I am also seeing a neurologist soon to rule out ms.
I'm not a doctor, but assuming you did have multiple sclerosis and you only have symptoms like migraines and brain fog, no other symptoms on the rest of your body it is likely that your symptoms will be treated with medication especially designed for people with ms. I know it is a sad diagnosis, but there are tons of people out there who can still work, walk and do everything who have ms. I know some people are in wheelchairs but since your initial symptoms are in your head region I have faith that those will be the only problems you have. The best advice I can give you is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck!
Symptoms such as urs can be the result of many different conditions.....in addition to MS, ur dr should test for lymes, lupus and chiari....they all have similar symptoms...I have many of the same symptoms and those were the tests done to rule things out and get a dx.  It is best to wait and see what ur NS says u actually have, prior to getting stressed about it, stress can exacerbate any health condition.Especially since u r experienceing head aches and brain fog!!
I know it can b very scary when u do not  know what is going on, but it can happen to b just as scary when u do havae a dx and not the right dr! So do be very upfront with the dr and ask ?'s and if u r not comfortable with treatments or plan of action, see another dr, do research for drs that specialize in the conditon u r dx with.

I hope this is of some help.
Godspeed
"selma"
Thanks for the advice... Yeah I really don't know anymore and its just so scary. Starting since last night my left arm went completely numb (!!) I obviously didn't have a stroke or anything. tonight its still kind of numb but my heart rate is okay... I think its cause of the IV and bruising from being in the ER 2x in 2 days. But either way that's not whats worrying me - my head is killing me and i'm getting this insane "heat tingling" feeling on my forehead combined with the pressure/brain fog and dizziness... Sounds fun right?

10 more days til the MRI and scared outta my mind about what they will tell me but I should probably stop obsessing.

I keep telling myself not to stress and to calm down but your body is a very powerful thing and I notice the more I look into certain diseases or possible causes, the worse my symptoms appear to be. I'm not pinning it all down to stress but it might very well just be a bad sinus infection or inner ear problem combined with my history of panic attacks and stress causing these tension type headaches.... who knows?

& I think i'm going to start the steriods... maybe they'll help.
U r welcome....please keep us posted on how u make out with the MRI...u do know u can ask for a copy of the MRI in disk form and a copy of the report......I have all of mine...it is so much easier than going and picking it up for a 2nd opinion...if u need one.

And u r so right about trying to remain calm...stress can affect ur overall wellbeing.

Godspeed
"selma"
Hi LilMama:  My sister has MS.  When she first went to Dr. rather than asking her to wait a week just to see a neurologist, an MRI was ordered immediatley.  I don't see why you must wait a week to see the Dr. then wait to get into his preferred MRI center and then wait a few more days for the DR. to call you back with his diagnosis.  

I know you are frightened and I would be too.  If I was your Mom, I'd be on the phone demanding that you get your MRI now, the ER should have ordered it for you, so that the Neurologists has the results and can talk to you about treatment.

She has had MS for years and does deal with flair ups but for the most part she is happy and well.  I don't know if you have MS but if you do, don't despair, I can't begin to tell you about all the people I know with MS and they have had it for years but I didn't know it because they live such normal lives.

Good luck.

Cathy

i feel exactly the same way as you, i am glad the more i research my symptoms the more i realize i am not alone in this feeling. my symptoms started with anxiety and panic attacks and the constant brain fog and dizziness and pressure in my head have been there ever since. so i have lived with this for a year and a half. I have had an MRI a year ago in october 2008 to see if i had MS and they didnt find anything. the neurologist says my exams are normal, my thyroid is normal, no one has any answers for me. i have just been living like this for all this time. i do have low blood pressure but no one has commented on that. in addition i have also felt numbness in my left arm when my symptoms originally started. I had seen an ENT and my hearing and ear exam were also normal. I have even felt like i'm gonna pass out at times. I have still not given up on finding a solution to my problem. I have actually been thinking about requesting another MRI since it has been over a year and the thought of MS still crosses my mind all the time. If it were to come back normal i would know for sure that is not my problem. How did your MRI go?
Have you looked into TMS/Mind-Body Syndrome (where repressed emotions manifest as physical disturbances)? http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/index.php?Introduction%20Page. I just wonder if there is a cycle involving TMS and anxiety, where the unconscious emotions manifest as physical symptoms, which then trigger a panic attack due to the "unexplained" symptoms, which then further aggravates the symptoms? And if you are in a constant state of anxiety (consciously or not), I wonder if this may be the cause of your constant physical symptoms, punctuated by panic attacks every now and then, when the mind/body reaches a "peak"? My boyfriend is suffering from EXACTLY the same symptoms you speak of, and we are going to look into the TMS/Mind-Body Program.
Hi Lilmama91,

I had similar symptoms starting 10 months ago and I have basically relieved them. I found that the problems were in my neck due to poor posture, and by doing everything to improve it I was able to get my life back.

Here were my symptoms:

1. Brain fog and having trouble focusing on objects. I would also feel like I couldn't focus very well and was living life by instinct. Life felt like it was something I was seeing and not participating in, and my brain wasn't working fast enough to have higher level thoughts.
2. Neck pain, my neck was starting to jut out, and if I was tense I would feel a bunch of pain in my neck and head
3. Eye flashes (little bursts of light) appearing in my eyes. Also a feeling of pressure behind the eyes. Sometimes it would feel hard to focus on what I wanted to because of the dizziness.
4. Sinuses (like ears) weren't popping very well and felt very closed.
5. Tingling in extremities (like my finger would move for no reason)
6. Unexplainable anxiety.

Here is what I did to fix it:

Mentally I committed myself to two things:
1. Treating my health as a part time job. The rest of my life had to take a break while I was figuring out my problems.
2. Committing myself to fight tooth and nail for doing whatever treatment I thought could help.

Physically I started doing the following:
1. Getting massage therapy (at first twice a week) since this can help relieve a lot of tension.
2. Seeing a chiropractor (they're good at taking pressure off the spine)
3. Doing physical therapy
4. (This is the big one) working on my posture. I would work on having perfect posture at work, then going home and keep perfect posture for 5 hours until I'd go to bed. At my best I would be doing nothing but staring at the wall working on my posture and seeing what made by body feel better. After playing around with it a bunch I was able to get to the point where the brain fog would go away and my neck would feel so much better. Don't get me wrong I had to fight like hell to have good posture when my body wanted to slump but it was so worth it once the symptoms started going away.
5. Get the things that are affecting your health out of your life. I was way too addicted to the internet which prevented me from brainstorming ways to get my health back. It was such a comfort at the time, however by not confronting my problems head on I prolonged getting better. Same thing goes with other stressful things in life: if you can get rid of them do it to get yourself in a better state.
6. Eat better, sleep more and get more exercise. I consider the battle back to health to be a fight, and I decided that I would need to do everything I could to keep fighting. This included eating a bunch more greens and getting a lot more sleep as well as exercising regularly.

Anyway I really hope that you can resolve what's ailing you and that some of these suggestions can give you relief. I live a very normal life now and hope that you can live a normal one as well.