Neurology Community
Constant Pain Back of Head & Pain in the Bones from Shoulders to El...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Constant Pain Back of Head & Pain in the Bones from Shoulders to Elbows

I've been suffering from a constant dull ache at the center back of my head for years (and I mean years). Never a day goes by that I'm NOT in pain - from constant to a dull ache - a few weeks back the pain moved down into both of my arms - the bones from my shoulders to the elbows seem to pain, not the arms/muscles themselves, but pain emits from within the bone - kinda hard to explain. I can't seem to use them well - move them around much or lift things easily as there is too much discomfort, and since I'm in construction they [arms] are what I need/use the most.  Last week the doctor gave me a shot in the neck of cortisone on Tuesday - by Friday the pain seemed to have ebbed a bit for the day (lets just say it was more bearable), but its back with a vengence.  Can anyone please tell me what I may be suffering from, and how I can control it or make it go away? I've had a MRI, CT scan, and the complete blood workup - they ruled out bone cancer, but that was over a year ago - could it have been in the early stages, and now I'm riddled with it?  What else could it be - any suggestions?

Desperate...
Hi.

How old are you now? Is the pain present bilaterally (on both arms)? Your symptoms of a dull ache at the back of your head with pain of the arms might be related to cervical spondylosis.  However, your description that the pain was from "within the bone" might also suggest either arthritis (especially with the fact that cortisone somehow lessened the pain symptoms) or, less likely, osteomyelitis.

It would be advisable to initially consult an orthopedic surgeon to assess your symptoms.

Good luck.
Age: 41 Male
Pain is present in both arms. Thanks.
Okay I admit I had to look up osteomyelitis, and no I can say I haven't had any surgery (i.e, bone replacements, fractures or root-canalled teeth) done in well over a year; although I've had more broken bones than I can shake a stick at -- in the end this just may be the early stages of arthritis -- any medication or pain killers you may recommend, at the very least that I can suggest to my doctor.
Hi.

At present, are you taking any pain medications? Usually, OTC medications such as NSAIDs can be taken for mild to moderate pain.  However, these drugs can cause gastrointestinal symptoms.  

If indeed arthritis is suspected, the newer class of COX-2 inhibitors, such as celecoxib and rofecoxib may be used.  These drugs have safer gastrointestinal side effect profiles than NSAIDs.  These are, however, prescription medications and should be taken only upon advice by a physician.

Physical therapy may also be of benefit in this case.  I suggest you ask your doctor about this too.

Good luck.
Arthritis:
joint pain yes
joint swelling no
joints that are tender to the touch so/so
red and puffy hands no
firm bumps of tissue under the skin on your arms (rheumatoid nodules) no
fatigue so/so [can't sleep because of the pain, otherwise fine]
morning stiffness that lasts at least 30 minutes no
fever no
weight loss no.

Does it still sound like it may be the onset of arthritis? Or is something else at work here?