Neurology Expert Forum
Constant burning pain in right shoulder and neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I also have a constant burning/pain in my right shoulder and up the right side of my neck. It started a month or so ago. I noticed a shooting/ burning pain that went from the back of my wrist to my upper elbow. First I thought I'd slep on it wrong but after a couple of days the pain increased. I was concerned that I was having a stroke or heart attack. The pain/burning has moved up into my shoulders and the burning is constant. I feel pain when I lift my arms or movement.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Pain in the shoulder can be of many causes. If it radiates and follows a particular nerve pattern, i.e., a dermatome, it may be a cervical nerve impingement. Other causes could be from a rotator cuff injury, capsulitis, or brachial plexus injury or inflammation. The diagnosis would rely on the exact location of the pain and the examination. Another possibility could be arthritis of the glenohumeral, sternoclavicular, or acromioclavicular joints. This would be diagnosed by xray of the shoulder. Causes of the arthritis can be long standing repetitive motion. It can be treated conservatively with NSAIDs and physical therapy. Intra-articular cortisone injections maybe used to relieve the inflammation. If patients fail conservative treatment, surgery is an option.  

I recommend that you follow up with your PCP. If it is felt to be neuropathic, you may ultimately need to follow up with a neurologist and have an EMG/NCS performed (which would evaluate the structural integrity of the nerves and muscles).

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.