Neurology Community
Constant dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Constant dizziness

I had an auto accident 3 weeks ago. I got the MRI scan done for cervical spine and the result came out negative.At first I have dizziness when I bend my neck down but later on the dizziness becomes worse(I started to experience the dizziness more constantly after I got the MRI). I feel dizzy most of the time but It gets worse when I have sudden movement. Actually I think it more like light headache than dizziness. I feel tired and sometimes have a hard time to focus. I have pain at the skull base and severe headache of the half left of my skull. I am not sure if the dizziness have anything that relates to the accident or there is something else that cause it.( I think about low blood sugar but I tried to eat enough and get some candies whenever I feel dizzy but it doesn't help). It has been 2 weeks now and it really effects my daily activities. Please if anyone can give me some advices or have the same symptoms to share with me. Thank you.
Auto accidents can cause Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo or BPPV for short.  That may be the cause of the vertigo.  I have BPPV and I have on occasion gotten a headache along with it.  If it is BPPV an ENT physician can help you to alleviate the symptoms.  They can go away eventually on their own, but there is a maneuver that you can do called the Epley maneuver in a more severe case.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there.  Dizziness may be due to multitude of causes like high or low blood pressure. heart attack, arrhythmia, cardiomyopathy, stroke, tumor, headaches, migraines, dementia, medications like blood pressure medications, sedatives, anti depressants, antibiotics, diuretics etc, metabolic disorders like hypoxia, hypoglycemia, dehydration etc. other possibilities are internal bleeding, anemia, prolonged bed rest, infections, endocrine diseases, allergies etc. psychiatric reasons for dizziness are depression, anxiety, panic disorder etc. consult a neurologist and cardiologist for evaluation of these symptoms. Otological causes are meniere’s disease, vestibular neuritis, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo need to be evaluated too by an otolaryngologist. Hope these speculations would yield some positive results. Take care.

I had a mild traumatic brain injury about 2 years ago and had a similar dizziness like yours when I get up, turn head certain angle etc.,  few weeks later the severity gone down but unfortunately it became persistent light headache/dizziness/fatigue/nausea etc., until this moment.

Constant dizziness is a tough one for doctors.  Reasons can be very many.  If your dizziness happened after the car accident then that is what caused it.  Since yours is only 3 weeks there is a good chance it can resolve in few weeks.  But it is better if you get an MRI/MRA of brain and all the arteries.  Also check with neuro-otologist who can do tests if it comes from ear.

I am still fighting with the dizziness to find a cure and no luck yet.  I tried many things and don't want to overwhelm or scare you.  
Thank you do much for all the comments.I will try to discuss with my chiropractor about that again. It seem like my chiropractor doesn't care much about the symptoms I told him. He just puts on those electric patches on my neck and does some adjustments on my back and shoulder,which scare me and hurt so bad. I think I would need blood test done and MRI for my head. Sometime I feel like I'm going to faint and I don't have energy to do anything. Plus my muscle seem weak because when i try to lift up something heavy my arm hurt and all my right fingers tremble when I use them too much. Can I get a blood test without a doctor order?
Thank you for your sharing.Since I have dizziness, I started to realize how bad it effects my normal life. I hope you feel better and find the cure for your problem soon.
It affects everything when there is constant dizziness.  I know what you mean when you said you feel like going to faint.  I get that many times and any stimulation (malls, stores) makes it worse.  It can be some sort of anxiety disorder too.  One thing works for dizziness is Xanax if yours is untolerable but be careful it is very addictive and body gets used to this very fast and you need more.  Also my PCP wants me to try Inderal which is a blood pressure medication also used for headaches and anxiety disorders etc.,  Just a quick update.

I checked with a Physical rehab director at a hospital yesterday and he suspects the reason for my dizziness could be from my vision and from my neck.  He said he consider me for Botox treatment next month.  He sure does knows lot about mild to severe neck/brain injuries.  Find a good doctor who can help.

Wish you best in your recovery.