Neurology Community
Constant headache for 10 days with heavy pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had a constant throbbing headache for the last 10 days. It will sometimes be only on the left side of my head on the top and back of my head, but most of the time is a constant pressure throughout my whole head. Sometimes when it is really bad I will see flecks of light out of my left eye and am constantly dizzy and seem to have more difficulty focusing my eyes. It is MUCH worse when I sneeze, cough, or bend down.

I am a 24 year old female and 21 weeks pregnant. Previous to pregnancy (about 7 months ago)  I did sometimes get tension headaches that I was sent to a neurologist for who did both a CT and MRI of the brain to ensure everything was fine and both tests were negative of abnormalities and PT was suggested. I was in PT for for about 3 months and didn't have any problems thereafter, no history of migraines.

The headache can sometimes get better for about 1-2 hours after taking Tylenol, but goes right back to where it was after that and never completely goes away. Since I'm pregnany I am limited as to what I can take. There is no pain or stiffness in my neck or shoulders and it does not hurt to touch my head, but it gets worse the more I move my head around. I am also not sensitive to light. I have sometimes had a strange sensation like a head rush that will start at the base of my neck and move up through my head and makes me really dizzy all of a sudden, but then goes away after a few minutes.

Any ideas of what this could be or what you would suggest I do? It's very nerve-racking, but since I am pregnancy diagnostic testing and medication is limited.
Anyone?? I also have not had any nausea, but my ears are now clicking when I swallow.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Generally, any throbbing headache needs to be evaluated for migraine, cluster & tension headache. One sided headache that is throbbing in nature with dizziness/nausea symptoms could be suggestive of migraine. The mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them. Triggering factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. Other factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. Few females experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods & at the time of hormonal imbalance. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of your migraine attacks and can provide you an appropriate treatment here. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!