Neurology Community
Constant leg spasms and body twitching/jerking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ever since i was 19 (i am 32 now) I have had problems with my calves twitching uncontrollably.I used to get horrible leg cramps in my sleep to where my calves would literally sink inward.It's not the cramps that worry me anymore. Its the leg spams and twitching.Unlike restless leg syndrome where the problem happens at bed time, my legs twitch/spam 24 hrs a day.You can see it happening.I also notice when i go to bed at night my body jerks alot esp right when i fall asleep.I have even woke myself up QUITE  a few times because of this.My fiancee' tells me how i jerk alot in my sleep and even kick him.It seems to get worse as i get older.I am afraid it's the beginning of something MUCH worse than restless leg syndrome.Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also i should state that 3 years ago i was diagnosed with type II diabetes and after a recent cat accident was told i have diabetic neuropathy. But would that be why my legs creep and cry and spasm every minute of everyday? Please help.
Stacy, I have the same symptoms as you. Did you find out what the reason was?

Arvind
I have ben experiencing these same symptoms for a long time.  The legs and insomnia are about to drive me crazy.  It use to just happen at night, now it is starting in the day.

How are you?
Diabetic peripheral neuropathy can cause muscle twitches and cramps. Is your diabetes well controlled?
The other possibility is fibromyalgia which can cause cramps in the muscles, twitches and excessive fatigue.
The possibility of restless leg syndrome also cannot be ruled out completely. I would suggest you to discuss this with your neurologist. Make sure your diabetes is well controlled and you get sufficient physical exercise during the day and maintain hydration.
Hope this helps!