Neurology Community
Constipation, back pain, and autoimmune disease?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been suffering from chronic constipation since June of 2008. Prior to that time, I had always had an overactive bowel (diarrhea, nausea). Full GI workup was normal. At the time the constipation began I had been on 150 mg of Effexor. The constipation seemed unusual, but I did not think much of it and did not take laxatives. In December 2008 the constipation got bad enough that I was put on a liquid diet for a week, sent for a CAT scan and a colonscopy. Everything seemed normal and my GI doc thought the problem might be the Effexor. My psychiatrist did not believe the Effexor was the cause of the problem but agreed to drop my dosage to 75 mg. A month later and my constipation has gotten worse. I must take 3 Dulcolax a night to have a bowel movement. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my right foot and made to wear a protective shoe. I began experiencing bad back pain approx. a week ago. I went to a chiropracter yesterday who told me that I have a curvature in my lower spine and did some gentle work on me. Could my spine be the cause of my constipation? Also, I was diagnosed in 2006 with autoimmune syndrome NOS due to a high IgM count and a slight monoclonal gammopathy. I am being seen by a rheumatologist every two months. Could this be contributing to my constipation? I am not going to be seeing my rheumatologist for another 3 weeks and I'm definitely concerned. Thanks!