Neurology Expert Forum
Continuous Electrical Sensation in Upper Body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

In spring 2004 I woke to feel a strange feeling like a small electrical current going through my upper body.  It is now continuous and has been for some months...hard to explain because it is just like the slighest amount of electrical stimulation has been hooked up to me.  It's just the upper torso.  I am 61 and in excellent health altho overweight by 50 lbs.  I take no medications of any kind and had a complete physical last year.  I did have a problem in November 2004 where I lost the use of both arms for about a month.  It came out of nowhere, lost one first then the 2nd within a week.  Literally was like an invalid for a month...couldn't lift my arms above my waist, couldn't use them to get in or out of bed, and when I woke in the morning the forearms and the sides of my hands just below the thumbs was excruciating painful.  Doctors gave me Ibuprofen and sent me to physical therapy.  I have never PRIOR had anything like this occur before.  Could the two be related in any way?   I've had absolutely no problem with my arms since.
The last thing is...I've experienced fatigue in the past year that is "crippling" to my life.  I've always been extremely active.  With the electrical sensation and the fatigue....I want to go back to bed two hours after I get up.  There is something in me that is out of sink.
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet, unfortunately, so this cannot substitute for a formal medical opinion

Lhermitte's phenomenom is described as a feeling like an electric shock going down the spine - it occurs when there is irritation of tracts in the spinal cord for whatever reason - demyelinating disease, stroke, tumor etc. It is usually episodic and associated the flexion/extension of the neck rather than constant. Perhaps an evaluation of the spinal cord by MRI or somatosensory evoked potentials might help.

The loss of both arm function (rather than the legs) is an unusual phenomenon - bit can occur in certain disorders such as types of guillan barre syndrome (a postviral syndrome resulting in weakness for 2-6 weeks followed usually by complete recovery), certain types of heavy metals, inclusion body myositis, or certain dystrophies (more progressive diseases)
Its not clear whether the two are related.

The fatigue should be investigated by your doctor for any underlying problems, ie anemia etc

Good luck
I am not a medical doctor, but would suggest that you take a peak at the symptoms of manganese toxicity, especially if you are taking a multivitamin. Same with zinc and copper.

The vast majority of today's multivitamins on the market are wonderful products for those looking for help with their vitamin levels, but I have yet to be convinced by any individual or agency that taking elemental minerals in the form of what is found in the vast majority of today's supplements is the least bit safe.

Use the internet for help. 30 year olds don't develop Parkinson's disease. But they do in chemical plants when exposed to Manganese by accident. What's that tell you.

Have you taken any antibiotics recently?
What tests have you had done; MRI, EMG, thyroid panel etc...?

There are a variety of conditions that can cause the shocking feeling (sounds like "nerve pain"). Anything from autoimmune diseases and neurological conditions to subluxations and disc disease.

Typically if you go to the dr with vague symptoms (meaning not specific to any particular disease/condition) they will do a complete blood work-up (thyroid, hepatic, lipid and metabolic panels, complete blood count, ANA, Rheumatiod factor, B12 and folate) and possibly an MRI.

If the MRI is abnormal or the testing doesn't show anything you may be sent to a neurologist (which you may want to see either way if you haven't already). The neuro can do nerve conduction studies, interpret the MRI and order any other pertinent tests.

I have thyroid disease and was using a cane a year ago due to hip weakness. I also had severe shoulder weakness to the point of not being able to hold up a hair dryer or read a book (I've gotten stronger since treatment started 9 months ago and have recently joined tae kwon do).

My thyroid disease also causes cubital, carpal and tarsal tunnel syndromes (I get shocking sensations in my arms, hands and feet because of it).

I'm so sorry you don't have any answers! It's extremely discouraging. Chiropractic helped a lot of my stiffness and nerve pain (specifically the cubital, tarsal and sciatic nerve pain). Is it a possible option for you?

Kelly