Neurology Community
Continuous Muscle Twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Continuous Muscle Twitching

I'm a 34 year old healthy male.  In 1/06 or 2/06 I was diagnosed as having a compression injury of the peroneal nerve after sitting awkwardly at a computer.  I had foot drop, high steppage gait, and significant muscle weakness in the right foot.  In May a neurologist performed an EMG confirming the diagnosis and stated that it was nothing more serious such as ALS.  After 6 months or more, the foot drop was gone and significant strength returned.  The foot is not 100% although it's much better.  I experience twitching all over my body on occasion but it seems that since the injury there is near continuous twitching in my right leg with a focus in the hamstring and buttock area.  There also seems to be some atrophy (less bulk) in that area since the injury.  In October I sought a second opinion with a renowned neurologist in my area.  He did a thorough exam and an EMG and stated everything was normal.  There was some slowing along the peroneal nerve that was most likley residual from the injury but the twitching was benign and everything else unremarkable.  It was not ALS.  In January of 2007, I again spoke with my original neurologist and he did another exam comparing his original EMG to the newer one and stated they were very similar, certainly not worse.  He said there was nothing in the exam to make him suspect an underlying neurological problem: strength, reflexes, coordination, muscle tone, etc. were normal.  He said that I had a good recovery overall.  I still have serious concerns, specifically about ALS.  I have not seriously exercised since the injury, which may add to the problem.  Any thoughts?
Avatar n tn
I am new to ALS research, 35 yo w/f - I have been experiencing allover muscle twitching for a couple of months, its quite frequent. Waiting on a neuro appt. Where exactly is your nerve damage? I too am SO concerned about the possibility of ALS.