Neurology Expert Forum
Cortical Dysplasia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cortical Dysplasia

I am 31 years old and been having trouble with headaches and vision problems since 2006. In 2006 I was having severe headaches, Doctors tried several migraine medication and nothing seemed to work. I was then sent for a MRI. The results came back before I got home. My family doctor said it was a anyerism and sent me to a nuero. The nuero said no that I had epilepsy and sent me to a specialist because I had febile seizures as a baby due to bacterial sepsis. They put me on several medications for seizures but none stopped the headaches. Now within the last year the have done a 7 day eeg study that showed nothing, was sent to a nuerophycologist and was told I had ADHD, then for another MRI in which the seizure specialist called and said I have Cortical Dysplasia located in the right frontal lobe. I am so confused. All this started I could be sitting or standing and would get unbalanced like the whole room would spin around me, then I would feel sick, and the headaches would start so severe and only in the front right side of my head, pressure, and laying down helped some. My headaches always seem to be on the same side of my head and can last for several days. I also have trouble focusing on tasks, and forget things easily, and my vision is getting worse.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

It is possible your symptoms are related to epilepsy from a cortical dysplasia. However, it is also possible that you may have a migraine variant called basilar migraine. Basically this is marked by several hours of vertigo associated with nausea, light-sensitivity, and sometimes other symptoms. Headache may or may not be present. The treatment is different from that used to treat other migraine types; the treatment in this case is a type of medication called calcium channel blocker, such as verapamil, which is actually used to treat blood pressure but works in type of basilar migraine as well.

I suggest that you discuss your concerns with your neurologists.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.