Cost of MRIs... Is $9K-10K ridiculous?
I was diagnosed with cavernous angiomas in the last couple of years and have to get yearly MRIs for monitoring. The first MRI I had cost less than $2,000. Recently, I went to UCSF for a MRI/MRA and the bill was almost $10,000!! The insurance company negotiated the hospital fees down to around $8,000 (from looking at my EOB). I'm very thankful I have insurance since I can barely afford the 10% copayment!

My dad also has to have regular MRIs/MRAs and he said he never has never been billed anywhere near this amount.

Does anyone know what a "standard" MRI/MRA should cost? If as high as 10K, then do I have to get one every year as I can't really afford this? My doctor suggests it's prudent to check every couple years. Are there any cheaper tests?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Broke In SF

First of all denials of health care coverage can be appealed and secondly there are better health care options. Google "Medicaid Buy In for Working People with Disabilities". You can find out more about health care options and benefits options and appeals at your local independent living center. There's one in every county of every state. Here's a list:
http***www.ilru.org/html/publications/directory/index.html