Coughing and Electrical Shock Sensation
On two separate occasions while coughing I experienced a sensation similar to that of an electrical shock across my entire chest region. On the second occasion, the sensation also went down both arms to the antecubital region. What could possible cause this? There is no pain associated with it and when I quit coughing, it stops.
Usually there is a narrowing in a space in the spinal column through which a nerve passes. In this case, it is probably in the cervical region.

When you cough the flexure of the head compresses the nerve.

The general drill, if it persists, is an anti-inflamatory for a few days, mild intermittant axial traction, and range of motion exercises.

If it gets worse, you will probably want an MRI, but many times the conditions are self-limiting. It may be arthritic deterioration, but the liklihood is temporary inflammation.

Get an over-the counter cough-suppressant and take ibuprufin for a few days.
Thank you. I will give this a try.
I'd like to add that this happens to me, too, but for me it has to do with too much pressure on the blood vessels, it kind of radiates and stings thru the network of vessels, you can almost picture it when you cough.  The problem comes from coughing too hard, and this can be from lungs that are way too clogged up with phlegm from a cold or respiratory infection.  I'd like to add to your home care to breathe steamy water, hang a towel over your head at a sink or pot of very hot water, it'll help loosen up the clog in your lungs.  But that's just my experience.
Thanks. I have actually been doing this as well due to having had a severe sinus infection. I have a sauna in my shower and sit there breathing in the steam. Hot showers also helps clear me.
I have just experienced this myself.  I have a terrible sinus infection or something.  I have been coughing like crazy... to the point that I feel like I am choking.  This electrical shock thing has started on me.  It is so painful.  I wish I knew how to stop it but you can't.  My coughing is so deep and hard and when I start it is like I can't stop and the shocks are unbearable.  Then afterwards it calms down but my arms just feel heavy. (I guess that is the best way to describe it)  This happened to me a few years ago but only a couple of times during my sickness.  This time... it has happened many many times.  I can't wait until this is over ... it is very painful.

My electrical shock is my chest, my breast and even up to my nipples... then down my arms.

I visited a massage therapist yesterday.  She said the muscles in my chest and arms were all knotted up.  She said the muscles spasm during a coughing fit that hard and then it constricts on the nerves to cause this shock.   After the spell massage those areas with my finger tips.  When all the cold/sinus infection is gone... it would be good to go see a chiropractor.  People who usually cough that hard to cause this can move ribs and get all out of whack.  

Thanks for this site so I know I am not the only person that has had this.  I know when I told my husband I could tell.... he thought I was crazy.  
You have described my situation to a T. I don't think anyone can quite understand how painful this unless it happens to them.  I have chronic bronchitis, and every time I have a flair up I dread this happening.  :'(

Have you talked to a doctor since posting this?  I'm curious what they said.
Yes, I thought it was lack of oxygen that caused my arms and legs to get that shock thing.  One time it ook me an hour for those to stop hurting.
I Thot it was a lack of oxygen too!  I also get a severe headache like a migraine!  So painful I have to shout out.  My arms are still throbbing and my chest burning.  
thank you for this explanation ,it fits my symtons to a tee,  i also have spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal)so im now wondering  if this is due to the electric shock feelings when i choke or cough deeply, could it be?
Thanks for the info, this has been happening to me all week. I started with my sinus draining and then the hard coughing starting. I have in the past coughed, but not like this. I have been using mucinex to help clear up the phlem and i am still have coughing fits, but no more phlem.