Neurology Expert Forum
Could a 'pinched nerve' cause such symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have recently had an MRI on my head that came back normal,which is great but what now? I am 30 yrs old and have always been pretty healthy except I have been diagnosed with PCS although my hormone levels have always been good. I have had headaches pretty regularly for about 2 years now. Recently (about 4 wks.ago) I got a headache that has persisted constant now. I also have shortness of breath at times, whish are usually accompanied by a feeling of heavy heart beating. My doctor listened to my heart and said it sounded fine, normal beating. I have also has some pain on the left side of my neck, under the left arm and into the the top of my left chest. I sometimes have the feeling of being diconnected. About 10 yrs. ago i started noticed a "numb" spot about half way down my back to the left of my spine. It never caused much pain so I never thought much of it. Although every once in the while I would have pain up into the left side of my neck and shoulder which would usually go away in a couple of days. Now I wonder if it could all be connected.Could it be a pinched nerve causing not only the headache but also the heavy heartbeat and disconnected feeling? My doctor has orderd a chest X ray but I dont see the reason in that. The shortness of breath only comes with the heavy heartbeat feeling.These symptoms have been constant for a month now so I am sure they are all connected. Any help or oppinion in this matter would be very much appriciated.. Thank You,Becky
Dear Becky,

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.  Radiating pain is usually a sign of nerve problems.  A normal MRI of the brain is good, but your problems sound like they are cervical spine related (by symptom location).  I might suggest a MRI of the cervical spine.  If your short of breath with feelings of heart beat changes then you might need a holter monitor of your heart to make sure that you do not have a rhythm disturbance.  One symptoms I do not understand is the pain that moves upward into the shoulder.  Neuropathic pain or nerve root pain travels down the nerve into the extremity not upward.  So, I cannot explain why this is happening to you.  Headaches can be from a variety of sources such as migraine, cluster, tension, menses-related, cervical cord related, etc.  Usually these are easily diagnosed so I am not sure what to make out of them.  They could be anything from a transformed migraine to just daily headache from tension.

I am sorry that I could not be more specific.  I do not know your history in more detail nor was an exam performed.  Sorry, I wish I could have helped more.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
This is very strange and I have found limited information on this. As I am falling asleep at night, I suddenly get what feels like a vibrating sensation througout my body. It seems as if it gets worse with stress. I then sit up and try to relax and it goes away only to happen again as I am drifting off. This is very annoying and a little bit scary. I really can't find much on this problem and was wondering if anyone knows what this may be? Thanks ScottB
Look through the posts here. I believe someone mentions something similar when falling asleep and Neuro said it was benign.

I took a quick look, but couldn't spot it. I believe it was in the last 30 days.

A related discussion, migraines over 65 was started.