Neurology Expert Forum
Could a 'pinched nerve' cause such symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have recently had an MRI on my head that came back normal,which is great but what now? I am 30 yrs old and have always been pretty healthy except I have been diagnosed with PCS although my hormone levels have always been good. I have had headaches pretty regularly for about 2 years now. Recently (about 4 wks.ago) I got a headache that has persisted constant now. I also have shortness of breath at times, whish are usually accompanied by a feeling of heavy heart beating. My doctor listened to my heart and said it sounded fine, normal beating. I have also has some pain on the left side of my neck, under the left arm and into the the top of my left chest. I sometimes have the feeling of being diconnected. About 10 yrs. ago i started noticed a "numb" spot about half way down my back to the left of my spine. It never caused much pain so I never thought much of it. Although every once in the while I would have pain up into the left side of my neck and shoulder which would usually go away in a couple of days. Now I wonder if it could all be connected.Could it be a pinched nerve causing not only the headache but also the heavy heartbeat and disconnected feeling? My doctor has orderd a chest X ray but I dont see the reason in that. The shortness of breath only comes with the heavy heartbeat feeling.These symptoms have been constant for a month now so I am sure they are all connected. Any help or oppinion in this matter would be very much appriciated.. Thank You,Becky
Avatar n tn
Dear Becky,

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.  Radiating pain is usually a sign of nerve problems.  A normal MRI of the brain is good, but your problems sound like they are cervical spine related (by symptom location).  I might suggest a MRI of the cervical spine.  If your short of breath with feelings of heart beat changes then you might need a holter monitor of your heart to make sure that you do not have a rhythm disturbance.  One symptoms I do not understand is the pain that moves upward into the shoulder.  Neuropathic pain or nerve root pain travels down the nerve into the extremity not upward.  So, I cannot explain why this is happening to you.  Headaches can be from a variety of sources such as migraine, cluster, tension, menses-related, cervical cord related, etc.  Usually these are easily diagnosed so I am not sure what to make out of them.  They could be anything from a transformed migraine to just daily headache from tension.

I am sorry that I could not be more specific.  I do not know your history in more detail nor was an exam performed.  Sorry, I wish I could have helped more.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Avatar n tn
This is very strange and I have found limited information on this. As I am falling asleep at night, I suddenly get what feels like a vibrating sensation througout my body. It seems as if it gets worse with stress. I then sit up and try to relax and it goes away only to happen again as I am drifting off. This is very annoying and a little bit scary. I really can't find much on this problem and was wondering if anyone knows what this may be? Thanks ScottB
Avatar n tn
Look through the posts here. I believe someone mentions something similar when falling asleep and Neuro said it was benign.

I took a quick look, but couldn't spot it. I believe it was in the last 30 days.

Avatar n tn
A related discussion, migraines over 65 was started.