Neurology Community
Could forward head and neck posture cause slight numbness and tingling?...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Could forward head and neck posture cause slight numbness and tingling?

I have been playing video games and using computers for several years now and I always have the head forward posture.  Lately for the past few months I have been experiencing neck pain, dizziness, slight intermittent numbness, and tingling/cold sensation in my face, shoulders, and extremities.  Is it possible that these symptoms could be caused by poor posture?  I went to the ER back in January with these complaints and had a CAT scan of my head, and xray of my neck and they said there were no visible abnormalities and that I should follow up with my primary care doc.  My primary care doc said that judging by the results of the tests that he sees no reason to be evaluated by a neurologist.  They mentioned poor posture, nerve compression, and vertigo as possibilities but I have not yet been diagnosed with anything but I still continue getting symptoms and it seems they are getting more persistent and worse.  I'm also having tmj problems and which is causing me pain in my jaw and head.  I'm a college student with no health insurance so my options are limited.  
You may have a nerve being pinched because of your bad posture. There is a chart on my profile called spinal nerve conduction that will show you what your nerves control and where they are located that will be helpful to you. When you had the ct scan why did they not scan your neck/shoulder area? X-ray will not show anything like disc bulging or compressed nerves. It sounds to me like you need a mri of your shoulder/neck area to see if you have disc problems causing your symptoms. Best wishes, Sissie
I see a doctor for TMJ and he says that if you have problems with your jaw they can cause all sorts of weird symptoms. Like headaches and neck pain, ear pain, dizziness. See if a change in your posture helps and if that doesn't cut out all chewy type of food because it could be your jaw.

Posture is very important...do have a Dr look at u if when u correct ur posture u still have the symptoms.

Here is a link to the chart for where issues can arise and what symptoms u could have as a result.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_photos/show/229729?personal_page_id=197028&photo_collection_id=20895
thanks for your comments!
I'm not sure why they didn't Ct scan my neck or shoulders they just mentioned that looking at my brain would help them rule out anything potentially serious and that they only problem they they saw was mild  scoliosis of the cervical spine.  They said that c7 was very hard to see as well.
Thanks for your comments!
Hey there... I just did a search on Google for "Bad posture causing facial numbness" and found you... just letting you know that I'm going through the same thing.  It comes and goes however - and I'm going through another bout of facial tingling.  Massages helped me - and constantly correcting my posture... I think I've permanently injured my neck unfortunately... working at a ergonomically incorrect desk for 8 yrs :((

Sounds like you might have a permanent injury as well... best thing is to keep your posture as straight as you can, get massages, get away from the video games, etc...