Neurology Community
Could this be Isaac's Syndrome?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Could this be Isaac's Syndrome?

I am a 36 year old active duty Marine.  I have always been very athletic and physically energetic.  4 years ago I noticed that I was losing energy and would tire very quickly.  I chalked this up to just getting older and the years of constant pounding on my body.  However, now I know that it is something completly different.  the symptoms I have now are disabling.  My legs are constantly vibrating.  They do not tremor or shake, but rather vibrate.  The best way I can describe it is that if you were to hold a water pipe and feel the water moving through the pipe.  The vibrations are always there and increase in intensity with any type of exertion.  The vibrations will in turn lead to extreme muscle pain and cramping so bad that I cannot move my feet and I want to scream.  Fatigue, weakness and exaustion are soon followed.  My wife has to spend about an hour every night digging her elbows into my legs to soften them.  Sometimes my legs look like the Incredible Hulk's just because they are so tight and all of the veins are sticking out.  I have not been able to run in almost 9 months and my exercise activity has ceased.  My legs are the 100 % of the time constant complaint, however, there are others.
    I do get extremely fatigued so quickly that I have to lay down in a cool place just to get my "senses" back.  If I get hot then I get shaky all over, fatigued, feel drunk and am unable to concentrate on much at all.  As a matter of fact I have been taken to the emergency room on base a couple of times because my fellow Marines thought I was drunk at work.  My gait was odd, I was slurring my speech and I was beligerent.  It has gotten to the point that I get so fatigued so quickly that I start vomiting.  
     I am seeing a neurologist that I like.  At this point he can only tell me what I do not have.  I understand that diagnosis a lot of the times is done by ruling things out before you get to the bottom of what is going on.  I have had MRIs of the brain and spain that showed no lesions.  An EMG done on my upper body was unremarkable.  EEGs, bothnormal and sleep deprived, were also unremarkable.  I am currently waiting on the results of the spinal tap that was done last week.  I have had 4 sleep studies that show an average of over 400 limb movements a night and no sleep apnea.  At this point my neurologist has ruled MS out.  He thinks that I may have a type of Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitability and has also mentioned Isaac's Syndrome or Cramp Fisciculation Syndrome.  From what I have read on the internet so far Isaac's is spot on as far as the way people describe their symptoms.  However, it also appears to be very rare.  Are there some other possibilities here?  I would appreciate any guidance and I do understand that it would be just for informational purpose.
Hello, By the way Semper Fi,
I have noticed quite a few Marines are on this website?!?!?!?!?  Well, I am no DR. But can relate to what you are going thru.  1st advise is to get copies ALL your medical records BEFORE you get out, they have a way of dissappearing when your out. No matter what anyone tells you, get them copied however or whatever you have to tell them to get the records and copy them. If your work allows it if not go out in town somewhere and copy them you will need them.  If they put you out medically then you go to the VA and have them determine your disability from there.  It will be tax free, and if its less than 70% you can still work and keep it. I know work will be hard.  I did 17 years in the corps.  My issues started the same way I took a PFT  4 weeks after giving birth and maxed it. but a few years later noticed the more I did the less in shape I felt unitl my legs were actually dragging instead of moving up and down while running.  The fn navy diagnosed me with graves disease, over active thyroid, when the meds didn't work they deactivated it with radioactive iodine ( I wish now I would have know about homeopathic remidies to get it back on tract naturally), I think thats where all the trouble started because the thyroid runs your whole body.  Since then a multitude of problems, the last 12 years have been pure misery,  I have 11 year old now with some of the same symptoms I have, I also have a 24 yr old son and 22 year old daughter with alot of the same stuff.  I was at Camp Gieger when they brought back equip from the 1st gulf war. Contaminated? My kids wer all over it too!  The water at CL?  we were told not to drink it on base at Gieger. this was 92 -96. I was on the NBC team for many years and who knows what is in those vaccinations they gave us.  The military is societys test lab. See my post on the Neurology forum under Medical mystery.  I have had over 100 tests and been to the VA and Civilian Dr. over 700 times in 12 years!!!  All they say is I have Fibromyalgia !!!  One thing can't possibly cause all that I have.  The trouble with the VA is, that they only seem to treat the symptoms, no one seems to try and see what else you might have or if you have the wrong diagnosis.  I feel for you and am sorry this is so long, Good luck and if I can be of any assistance let me know, I have had good luck with deep tissue massage, Electro dermal screening, and herbal teas and herbal supplements.  There are alot of natural pain remedies also. At least I can function most of the time even though I am in great pain and can't sleep much.  I try to nap everyday even if its only 15 minutes.  I DO NOT take pain or other meds except synthroid for the thyroid.  I believe the drugs cause more problems then they are worth.  I deal with the pain and would rather function with a clear head than druged up. It must be a Marine thing!!  hahaha I recently moved to FL hoping the warmer weather will help.  
Again keep your guard up with military docs, I don't think many know what they are doing other than drawing a paycheck.  SEMPER FI MARINE, keep your head up and move forward!!!