Neurology Community
Could this be related to seizures?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Could this be related to seizures?

I am a 31 year old female with hypertension and am 26 weeks pregnant.  I am on Labetalol and it works well.  This all started about 7 months ago ( before I was pregnant).  I woke up one morning and my face was tight/ numbish.  It got worse throughout the day and I went to the ER where they did a CT scan (normal), blood work (normal), ekg (normal).  

The facial numbness never went away for more than a few hours at a time, but started switching sides and coming and going.  I started having headaches, which I never had before.   Then I got pregnant on accident and soon after started another symptom.  I felt tingles/prickles all over....every side, all parts....sometimes just one prickle, sometimes lots of prickles.  It got worse in the heat.

Then came the buzzing...in my left knee, my left hip, my right hip, my right foot, my right shoulder blade, left forehead.....a pulsating vibration...on for two seconds, off for five seconds.  Not all at once....the location changed over time with an episode not lasting longer than two weeks at the most....usually three days.  I never had the sensation in several places at the same time.  

Most of these symptoms have eased up or disappeared.  But I still have the facial numbness that comes and goes and brings with it a heck of a headache.  Seems like I get a terrible spell once a month that takes a few days to "get over" and then I will have a week or so symptom free.  The headache feels dull all over but feels sharp and stabbing around my eyes and small, specific parts of my head.  I see sparkles and feel terrible.....and, yet my bp is 115/65.  

I saw a neuro who said he cant do anything for me until I have the baby.  He did get me an EEG which was normal, B12 which was 525, and Lyme which was neg.  All of my blood work has been normal so far ruling out diabetes and thyroid.  I have not had an MRI.  Could this be related to seizures?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Its unlikely to be seizure activity. Sometimes migraines can cause these odd sensations without an actual headache. If you have blurring of vision, nausea and see some light flashes it could most probably be due to a migraine. Cure for this can be in terms of avoiding trigger factors.  You can prevent the occurrence of headaches by avoiding trigger factors that induce an attack. Alcohol, smoking, altered sleep patterns, missed meals, loud sounds, odd smells, physical or emotional stress and certain additive foods are known to trigger attacks.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you, Dr. for your help.  I have been wondering about migraines.  My hope is that the other symptoms of buzzing and tingles will have been some kind of a fluke and that we will eventually land on migraines and be able to treat those accordingly.  Thank you again for your time....you give me hope!