Neurology Community
Could this be seizures? If not what would be the cause?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My daughter is 4.5 months old and was born a month premature.The birthing process took about 2.5 hours, and she was in the birth canal for approximately 25 minutes.

For the last three days, there have been several different things that have me concerned about possible seizures as it runs in my family.
On day 1: It happened at 6:30pm. It was about an hour after she ate dinner. Her and I were having quiet play time in the bedroom when she zoned out on the wall slightly to her left. I could not break her concentration. She stayed like that for 30 to 40 seconds then her head began to jerk to the left. Her legs would get stiff as her head would turn. She would relax and it would happen again. The whole thing went on for about 2.5 minutes. She smiled at me, cried for 10 seconds and then fell asleep for 30 minutes. Waking up like normal.
On day 2: It happened at 1:45pm. It was about 45 minutes after she ate. We were cuddling in the living room. She zoned out, again to the left. Her head began to jerk again and her legs would get stiff with each turn. This time, however, her head also did a bob back and forth and her hands would raise slightly. This lasted for just under 4 minutes. She cried for about 10 seconds and then fell asleep for 20 minutes. She woke up normal.
On day 3, today: It happened at 7:19pm. She had eaten about 45 minutes before. She started by looking up and sort of rolling her eyes back. Then her head would twitch, in both directions. After about a minute her legs would come up and she would curl her shoulders forward. This continued until her arms would raise about her head, it looked involuntary. Then her back would arch and her body would lean to the right. This lasted for about 3.5 minutes. She cried for a bit, about 3 minutes and did not fall asleep.

I have had my mom overlook an "episode" and she says that it could be from a growth spurt? I do not think that a growth spurt could cause this, but I am not sure.

Any advice would be helpful!! Thank you in advance!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could also be seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist. With a positive family history, I would advise you to consult your pediatrician, he may then refer you to a neurologist. Good Luck with her therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.