Neurology Community
Crackle noise behind sinus, followed by burning sensation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

When I get a bad cold, I sometimes here a crackle sound, followed by some pain as though my sinuses (I assume) were opening up or something. It's an odd feeling, but I rarely catch a cold. Recently, I get these sounds even without a cold and that is followed by a burning sensation. It's not overly painful. It's about the same feeling as having breathed water in through the nose. That is then followed by what feels like the begining of a cold or fever, but that goes away a few hours later.

I live in Japan, which makes things hard. Doctors aren't the best here. All the good ones move into research or other countries where the money is better. I won't go into detail about the whole medcare system here, but it's not great. I have a feeling an ENT will refer me to a neurologist, who will do an MRI, CTScan and then tell me they found nothing and that I must have anxiety disorders, prescribe me meds I don't need etc. I was wondering if someone here has had a similar feeling and if they can then point me in the right direction. Then I can tell the doc what I think it is, and I can get the doc to do things my way.
I have the very same thing, I think that its sinus issues.  I have terrible problems with allergies and sinus problems.  Good luck!!!  Oh yeah, when I had a brain MRI last April because of migraines, it showed extensive sinus thickening in the frontal and ethmoid sinuses, I did not have this crackling then, no pain or anything.
So long as it's not life threatening I'm fine. I can handle pain so long as I know it's not going to kill me. Pain control is easy, at this stage anyways.
I have sinus problems, but recently its getting worse. I have the pressure and the burning, its so bad I can not even bend over to pick something up.  Even if I sit for a short while the burning comes and I need to put pressure on my face for a while til the pain leaves. I have 3 toddlers that need my attention and its so hard to deal with them when I am like this.  The noise and light bother me also.  Does anyone have any suggestions I would love to hear them, please,
Hi, this could be due to partial blockage of Eustachian tube associated with sinusitis too. Where you get burning sensations? Usually viral infections  or allergy lead to these symptoms.

Try anti histamincs, decongestants along with steam inhalation for 1 week. Get yourself investigated for sinusitis too.
Dear davinci2,

Please try the following:

Just apply little amount of Eucalyptus oil to the inside of your nose. This will make you sneeze loudly/rapidly, thus helping to clear entire lung pathway - including sinuses. In the worst case, you will have a running nose for few minutes. Moreover, Eucalyptus oil has antibacterial properties.

Watching the sunset will help as well. It will activate all the good harmones in the body. Japan is called land of rising Sun. Try this book: http://www.scribd.com/doc/378210/The-Art-and-Science-of-Sun-Gazing-Living-on-Sunlight

Goodluck. ~PassionPeace.