Neurology Community
Cranial Facial Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cranial Facial Pain

I have been suffering for 2-1/2 years with oral facial pain.  It began on the left and is now bilateral.  I get severe, constant pain in the upper gums, teeth, cheeks, temples, jaws, neck.  At times there are sharp twinges, but mostly it is a deep, constant ache. I have had close to pain-free moments, but just when i think I'm cured, it flares up.   I have had 2 diagnosis.  TMJ with osteoarthritis of the jaw joints and cervical spine.  The other diagnosis is from a neurologist.  Idiopathic facial pain - Central Nervous System disorder coming fro the brain as opposed to the spine.  I have tried many medications, physio, acupuncture, chiro.  I have been told it is not MS or Trigeminal Neuralgia even though a lot of my pain patterns seem to follow branches of the TN nerves or nucleus from brain, into tmj joint, face, teeth and nucleus at cervical spine.  I have had three neurologists rule on trigeminal neuralgia.  However, couldn't there be nerve impingement somewhere along the trigeminal nerve path?  I have issues in the tmj joints, overactivity of the temporalis and masseter muscles.  I also have cervical spine issues in the C4, 5, 6, 7.  Could that not effect the roots or nucleus of either the trigemal or accessory nerves?  I have looked up central nervous sytem disorders and do not seem to have any of those, so how can this be the origin.  I'm wearing a mouthguard for tmj, and have been doing so for 4 months, but based on this flare-up, questioning that as well.  I can pinpoint some triggers, but this last one seems to coincide with my monthlt cycle and not any particular activity.  I need advice.

I have been suffering for 2-1/2 years with oral facial pain.  It began on the left and is now bilateral.  I get severe, constant pain in the upper gums, teeth, cheeks, temples, jaws, neck.  At times there are sharp twinges, but mostly it is a deep, constant ache. I have had close to pain-free moments, but just when I think I'm cured, it flares up.   I have had 2 diagnosis.  TMJ with osteoarthritis of the jaw joints and cervical spine.  The other diagnosis is from a neurologist.  Idiopathic facial pain - Central Nervous System disorder coming from the brain as opposed to the spine.  I have tried many medications, physio, acupuncture, chiro.  I have been told it is not MS or Trigeminal Neuralgia even though a lot of my pain patterns seem to follow branches of the TN nerves or nucleus from brain, into tmj joint, face, teeth and nucleus at cervical spine.  I have had three neurologists rule out trigeminal neuralgia.  However, couldn't there be nerve impingement somewhere along the trigeminal nerve path?  I have issues in the tmj joints, overactivity of the temporalis and masseter muscles.  I also have cervical spine issues in the C4, 5, 6, 7.  Could that not effect the roots or nucleus of either the trigemal or accessory nerves?  I have looked up central nervous sytem disorders and do not seem to have any of those, so how can this be the origin.  I'm wearing a mouthguard for tmj, and have been doing so for 4 months, but based on this flare-up, questioning that as well.  I can pinpoint some triggers, but this last one seems to coincide with my monthlt cycle and not any particular activity.  I need advice.

Tags: facial pain