Neurology Community
Crushing pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Crushing pain

In 2005 I had an operation for tinnitus(unsuccessful).For two years I have had this crushing pain mainly on the side of my head. A second nuerologist has said its occipital nueralgia had I have had monthly injections thru my skull. Its helped the side of the head but along the middle from my fore head to the crown in the exact centre i still get this crush,.When this happens my tinnitus goes beserk and i am unsteady on my feet. I was subject to a left post fossacranieotomy for microvascular decompression of the left cochlear nerve. The first surgeon does not want to know who I am and has told me to go away.Thats why I went to the second. My question.Would crushing pain down the exact centre of my skull from the crown to the fore head be occipital neuralgia. -It usually is about three inches from the back crown but it moves.Whizzy
Hi.

Do you experience any other symptoms occurring with the headaches? Do you have a history of high blood pressure?

Occipital neuralgia typically presents with a "ram's horn" pattern of pain beginning in the lower area of the neck which spreads to the sides of the head. Later on, the entire scalp and forehead can be affected. Thus, your symptoms can, indeed, be associated with occipital neuralgia.

However, this does not rule out other possible causes of your symptoms such as tension headache and hypertension.

You should talk to your physician about these other possible causes of your headaches.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. I have been on BP tablets for ten yrs.last reading 2weeks ago140/82 which is good for my age which is 66. This thing grips my head and then concentrates in thid one spot like a burning sensation and then it moves along the centre.If it is hypertension I have read many articles about the subject and I am trying very hard to practice these things. Do you think it could be an anerism.I have had a good run for quite awhile but last Tuesday week my head felt as if I was walking in spaceI was just floating. Asd i write my complete side of my head is sort of knumb.
But thaks for replying. Ill see how I feel tomorrow.Have a good xmas. PS I try putting on a brave face but sometimes this gets under my guard.At the moment I have to hold onto the rail to get down the stairs
Hi.

I am truly sorry that you have been suffering so much because of your symptoms. I do hope your condition will improve soon.

A brain aneurysm, especially when small, is usually asymptomatic. Symptoms can occur only if the aneurysm is large enough to press on certain brain structures. Symptoms would be more localized than what you are experiencing right now, such as pain behind the eye, facial weakness or numbness, pupillary dilation, diplopia, peripheral vision disorders, speech problems, memory deficits, fatigue, and localized headache. A ruptured brain aneurysm, on the other hand, would present with relatively more severe symptoms than what you have.

Although a brain aneurysm may be unlikely, it cannot be ruled out, which is why a consult with the neurologist would be needed to determine whether these other causes are associated with your headaches.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again.Its getting easier. In the last three months my brain at times has not been functioning properly especially in the home.eg tonite it took me three times to make up my mind which dish to use- the other day i tried to put the tele phone in the fridge. last nite i wanted to make some potato salad. I put the cut spuds in a saucepan then changed my mind and then got out another saucepan. This has been happening for about three months. I keep saying to myself something is happening to your brain yet if i had to solve some Maths probs no one could out beat me. My brain gets so confused. I still drive a car and my left to right is not very quick. Something is happening to my brain and I dont know what to do. I have been a very good sportsman. Play Bowling . Rugby(Grid iron) Croquet (local Champ)and now I am restricted. I have to really push myself.My father died of cancel in the colon ,my son had cancer in the testicule. my two uncles died of cancer, my cousin has had cancer yet the first N/surgeon in one of his bad moods ran a nail thru my head and said "you dont have any anuerosims-that was 18 months ago. Frustrating -Have a GOOOOOOOD Xmas (Google)