Neurology Expert Forum
DISC HERNIATION T6-7 T7-8 SYRINX T5-T11 & MILD HERNIATION C5&am...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DISC HERNIATION T6-7 T7-8 SYRINX T5-T11 & MILD HERNIATION C5&6

I HAVE BEEN IN TWO REAR END AUTO ACCIDENTS 12/96 & 8/98. I HAD MY NECK FUSED AT C3-4 AND C4-5 IN 3/98. I HAVE SEEN TWO NEUROSURGEONS REGARDING THE DISC HERNIATIONS IN MY MIDDLE BACK AREA. NEITHER WOULD DO SURGERY BECAUSE THE SURGERY IS TOO MAJOR. I AM CURRENTLY GOING TO PAIN MANAGEMENT AND TAKING MEDS FOR PAIN, I AM ALSO SEEKING POSSIBLE SPINAL BLOCKS TO MY NECK, MIDDLE AND LOWER BACK (I AM A LITTLE NERVOUS BECAUSE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF GOING INTO THE LUNG OR SPINAL CORD). MY QUESTION IS DO I HAVE OTHER OPTIONS? I HEARD THERE WAS A PROCEDURE WHERE THE DISC SWELLING/HERNIATION COULD BE REDUCED WITHOUT MAJOR SURGERY. IS THIS TRUE? WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION ON THIS? DO I HAVE ANY OTHER OPTIONS?  PLEASE RESPOND, I HURT 24 HOURS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK AND I HAVE TO WORK (IT IS DIFFICULT TAKING THE MEDS AND WORKING TOO).  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Symptoms from a thoracic disc may include pain at that level radiating around to the front of the body, as well as numbness at or below the level of the disc anatomically.  If severe, a thoracic disc herniation may cause weakness and incontinence of bowel and bladder function.  When symptomatic, a surgeon may consider removing the offending disc.
Whether your current problems are due to the thoracic disc(s) is not clear.  Most disc herniations can be treated successfully without surgery as the disc material, made mostly of water, will shrink away with time.  
Speak to your surgeon as to whether he thinks your discs are symptomatic and whether you have had adequate time for conservative measures to be effective.  This will guide the decision as to whether surgery is indicated.
Good luck.

THANKS.
  LORIE