Neurology Expert Forum
DMSO--help or hazard
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

DMSO--help or hazard

I've seen some reports that topical application of DMSO gel is effective at relieving the pain of peripheral neuropathy. In a check of the Medline searching under 'pain' and 'DMSO', I found one study that supported this claim. My question is, is DMSO harmful if applied to the skin? Does it leach into the blood stream? I want pain relief but I don't want to endanger my health (DMSO got some bad pr some time back)
=============================================================================================================
Thanks for the question. DSMO is a common vehicle used to transport many drugs. It has many biological effects including antiinflammatory, antioxidant and local anesthetic effects. If it will have a role in treating pain related to PN is not certain. It has been shown in very limited studies to have a role in complex regional pain syndromes. We are not using it here to treat PNs. There are reports to suggest that it can leach into the blood. At CCF we are not using this medication and if you were interested in using it I would only do so as directed by a physician familiar with its use.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes. Please consult your physician regarding diagnostic and treatment options.