Neurology Community
DOG BITE, 11 days later muscle fasiculations, spasms, weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have a great doctor. But, she is dumbfounded. I was bite by a dog (had all shots) in my knee October 21st. I went to the doc the same day with swelling, and pain in knee (the knee was hot). I was prescribed Augmentin and Etodolac. I was better after my 10 day course of medicine. But, about 1 and 1/2 days after meds were out of my system I started experiencing muscle jerks, fasiculations, spasms, and pain. The "fasiculations" are going on all the time (to some degree) in my body and especially in my hand (left), feet, arms, and face. I have had them in my back, stomach, and anywhere in between.

I waited a week, thinking maybe I had some kind of electrolyte imbalance. I went to my doctor November 10th and she did some blood work. Something showed up on the blood work, so the next day I had to go in for more blood work. The blood work came back positive for scleroderma (she said I need more testing to be sure). I was also given a "Heartrak" monitor to use for "palpitations" (I think it is somehow my neuromuscular system messing up causing "fake" palpitations. So now...

I am scheduled for a rheumatologist for this coming Wed. the 26th. But, my muscle "fasiculations", jerks, and spasms, are almost overwhelming. I feel like I am shaking, and I have this "occurences" all day long, especially after activity. I feel like I have played a rugby game (pain and fatigue) and my muscles are having fasiculations all over. Some feel like pulsations of electricity in my feet going non-stop for hours, or I will have hard fasting jerking the last anywhere from 15-30 seconds.

I have read the two best books out there on scleroderma this past week. I don't find anyhwere that scleroderma covers my SPECIFIC symptoms related to my neuromuscular system. They mention myositis and myopathy. My symptoms are different from these two autoimmune disorders.

I am at a loss and in a quandry. I know what I might have....but I wanted to see what an expert thought about the dog bite, then taking meds, then getting these neuromuscular symptoms 11 days later. I have been going through this rollercoaster of the UNKNOWN for about 2 and 1/2 weeks now. I try to stay cool.....but it is hard and at times scary.

I pray God gives me strength, and he is with me on this journey.  Thank you so much for replying. I would be lying if I said I haven't cried alone once about this. I don't want to say anything to friends and family until I know something more definitive. I am just looking to bounce my situation off some expert, brilliant minds. I am trying to keep my head up.
Maybe the injections are part of it...often your body reacts with fasiculations after injectiosn its his way of dealing with the shots...
This might not have anything to do with it..but, it might.
My son has those jerks and spasms and it is mostly on his right side. His started after he got sick from strep. I'm still looking for answers almost 2 years later. (we are getting somewhere now thanks to these forums)
In some of my searches I've found that his could be caused by his body producing an antibody like it is supposed to do to fight an infection. However, it attacks his brain and health tissue instead. Perhaps, the dog bite introduce something that triggered that respone with you.

I know what it feels like to "just not know".  I hope all is well.
Did your doctors ever give your son a diagnosis? Or have you found the name of the syndrome that causes your own body to attack its brain and health tissue with antibodies? I would like to research this further.

And, did your son take any antibiotics for the strep throat (what kind if he did).

Thank you for any other information you can provide. If you contact me by private message, I will keep in touch with you to let you know what I find out with myself in hopes I can help your son if I do have something related to my infection.

PS- Nurse Jessy- I never had any injections. But, thanks for your input anyway.
No injections after the dog bite??? At all...thats odd?Got me there :)...sorry i though i had seen you got medication after i jsut looked and you got an antibiotic and something for pain...

Hope you find answers soon....
The only thing i can think of is from the bit you may have had some kind of virus and fasiculations is often a way your body interacts with it...i think thats where i was going with that first post but i though you had had some kind of injection i know we do here in canada after dog bite might be different else where...
Dear Stubby,
I saw your post when it first came up, but it took me a while to put this together, and right now I'm way past my time in fooling with posting here, so I'll have to go after I post until tomorrow.  But the answers I have are so important that I wanted to mention two things to you as soon as I could.  

First, tetanus can cause your symptoms.  Dog bites can cause tetanus.  If your own shots for tetanus are not up-to-date (you're supposed to have one every ten years), then you should immediately be tested for tetanus.  If you have tetanus, you are supposed to get a tetanus antitoxin forthwith and then be watched in an ICU setting, becuz complications can include your breathing and heart muscles shutting down.  By the way, thinking of when you said your symptoms began, the onset of tetanus is usually 14 days, altho it can take a shorter or longer time, too.  Your doc may have tested you, so you should call her, but you may just get into a message situation.  If this happens, you need to go to the ER or Urgent Care TODAY.

Second, scleroderma can also cause your symptoms.  An interesting thing is, one of the many risks for getting some types of scleroderma is tetanus shots (a little diff from tetanus antitoxin).  Also, one of the myopathies you can get from scleroderma is indeed the muscles contracting, despite your research so far.  No one knows what causes scleroderma, by the way.  So, seeing a rheumatologist like you're going to is a good idea, because he should be familiar with the different types of scleroderma and how to treat what you have.
GG
i have muscle jerks thats looks like skin vibrations for over twenty five yrs after a dog bite and tig shots. It has lessoned considerably now and i sometime go for several months without noticing it. I wonder now if it is an allergic reaction to the tetanus shot.