Neurology Expert Forum
Dark spot on brain CT and numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dark spot on brain CT and numbness

Hello I am a 22 female  I have no prior medical condition. FOr the last two weeks I have had numbness in my whole body, nothing more then some slight tingles.  I went to my family dr and they did blood test and found out I was vit D deficiet.  Sent me home with some pills.  Then like a week later the numbness was worse to wear I couldn't feel my feet at all and my hands could barely hold on to anything small and my legs would randomly give out on me.  So I waited one day and the next day I couldn't walk hardly and could barely lift my right limbs more then an inch or so.  So my mom took me to the ER and they ran some blood test and an EKG and everything was normal until they did a CT scan.  When they came back with the results the ER dr said they found some dark spots in the front right part of my brain and that I needed to do a brain MRI with contrast and sent me home.  My friend told me that if they sent me home that meant I wasn't at risk of dying that night so that put my mind at ease a little bit.  But today I'm getting my MRI results back but I'm just kind of curious if there isn't anything wrong with the spot on my brain what could be causing this numbness?  Please help!
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The dark spots, or hypodensities, on the CT of your brain may represent many different possibilities.  The location of the hypodensities, and the characteristics in the surrounding tissue (evidence of edema?, or mass effect?) play an important role in interpreting the image.  It may be represent something benign, such as a cyst.  It can also represent a concerning lesion, such as a tumor, abscess, or old stroke.  White matter lesions, such as those caused by Multiple Sclerosis, are generally more difficult to detect on CT, but can occasionally appear as hypodense lesions.

The MRI will be able to provide your physician with much more detailed information about your brain tissue, and will help with interpreting what the hypodense lesions on CT Scan represented.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.