Neurology Expert Forum
Daughter is hypotonic, wondering when...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

we would see spasticity "show up" if it is going to. I know from reading, often those children with hypotonic CP become spastic. My daughter is 12 months old. Her low tone seems to be "improving" (She's starting to catch up some in motor milestones). Just wondering if we're out of the woods yet, or if this improvement could be her tone shifting from low to high. Does high tone appear overnight?

-Kris
Most if not all children with CP do eventually become spastic.  The "improvement" in her muscle tone may in actuality be part of the expected gradual transition of hypo to hypertonicity as you mentioned.  There are cases of very severe oxygen deprivation at birth that lead to spasticity in the first few days of life, but in most typical CP cases, it is likely to be gradual. Good luck.