Neurology Community
Dazed and confused

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dazed and confused

A few months ago I found myself on the floor of a convenience store wondering how I got there. I had suffered a loss of consciousness and immediately went to the ER. I was in the hospital for 48 hours. During that time, I had an MRI, CT, EEG, EKG, Echo, and tons of blood work. Low blood pressure runs in my family and I scared the daylights out of a nurse when my blood pressure read 73/38 all three times she took it. I have since had a second EEG and EKG, as well as a stress test. All test results are within normal limits. The additional symptoms that I have are a tingling, like chills, on the right side of my head & neck, confusion,  headaches, memory problems, problem solving issues, numbness in my hands & feet, weakness, fatigue,  clumsiness, lack of coordination, depression, personality changes, weight loss, and sleep problems. I have hypothyroidism (diagnosed 4 yrs) and B12 deficient (diagnosed 8 yrs). I have been a bookkeeper for 25 years and now I cannot do simple math. The neurologist says my issues are not neurological. If not, then what are they? And why hasn't anyone looked at my nervous system? 42yo/F
My daughter suffers low blood pressure and also collapsed. She was in hosp for 2 weeks and they sent her off to to the psychs. She's your age, funnily enough. Anyway, we were not satisfied with this diagnosis as the hospital docs didn't know her when she was O.K.
We pooled our money and went to see a private neuro who was recommended. Fortunately, she specialised in headaches. My daughter suffers quite bad headaches, usually at period time but has never bothered the doc, just takes pain meds.
Anyway, it took about 10 mins of questions and she was diagnosed with
basilar migraine. Have a look at the migraine site on here and just write 'basilar" in the search thing.
She now takes the meds recommended by this neuro and is miles better. This includes a med for dizziness  which has also helped to get her thinking straight.
If you can possibly do it, this is what I would recommend. If not, you have to nag your doc until he/she agrees that you are referred to a specific headache neuro. I'm no medical person  but this was the route we went down and found the right doc by accident.
Obviously you must take your thyroid meds and B12 treatment. I repeat, I'm no medical professional and might be entirely wrong. However, it might be worth looking at. Anyway, you must persevere until someone gives you a concrete diagnosis and just maybe the route I've described might be a beginning. Good luck and hope you feel better soon
Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely be looking into it further, yet I'm not sure its the same. I do not have the aura and my symptoms are constant. It took me a couple of days to put this paragraph together, then I have to have someone else type it. I know things and I don't know how I know it, and I don't know things that I know I should. I think that is part of the problem. I don't think I'm explaining it properly to the doctors, and I'm getting really sick of them looking at me like I'm lying and that what I'm describing is impossible. I honestly feel like I've become mentally handicapped. I lost the use of my left leg again last night. Just for a minute or two.
Hi Amy,is there anyone who can go with you to your doc , maybe take a copy of what you've written here, both bits, and who can say the change they've seen in you, how scared you are of what's happening to you, and insist on seeing another neuro?

I am not a doc, just a mum, but if you were my daughter that's what I'd be doing. They can't leave you like this, it's ridiculous. Take someone with you to explain and don't leave it. It's medical negligence to send you back home in such a state. It may be something simple that they've missed.
You go girl, take you A.N Other and refuse to move until you get some answers. G-d Blessx