Neurology Community
Decompression vs surgery
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Decompression vs surgery

MRI impression:1)Grade 2 spondyl. at L4-L5 with severe facet arthropathy, severe central stenosis, bilateral L5 root compression, and bilateral L4 root compression.  2) Left foraminal/lateral L2-L3 and left foraminal L3-L4 disc protrusions without neural impingement.  3) Moderate central T11-T12 disc herniation without cord compressoin.
I have been at Grade 2 for many years.  Both my legs went numb while I was standing, felt like burning at first, and legs felt like rubber.  Then as the feeling returned, it felt like burning again, until I realized it was more of a "pins and needles" like when your foot goes to sleep.  Feeling returned from the waist downward.  I have been having problems with bowel control for about the last year(blamed that on my IBS), recently having more bladder leakage, not just with sneezes and such(was blaming that on needing the "Detrol discussion').  I am a nurse, and only 54.  My chiropractor was at a loss to tell me what surgery might be suggested with the cenral stenosis, and suggested trying decompression first.  I'm not getting any younger, and am tired of feeling very old, in pain most of the time.  What type of surgery would be suggested, since I am ready mentally for that route??  Thenks.

This discussion is related to Spondylolisthesis and Surgery.