Neurology Community
Deep Cut on Right Hand Palm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Deep Cut on Right Hand Palm

I had an accident recently and had to remove a glass piece from my right hand palm, below last 2 fingers. I had 3 Stitches and doctors already removed them. But I still have numbness in the pinky finger and it feels cold compared to other 3. Also tip of the pinky finger hurts a lot and I see a tiny red spot on the nail. What exactly is going on? I have sensation and i can also move that finger. Its just the tip that hurts.
Well, I do know that any injury that happens to the hand can become quite serious, so you'll obviously have to see a doc.  The cold feeling usually comes from a circulation or blood vessel problem, and the numbness can come from either a swelling or nerve problem.  Then there is the very real chance that infection has developed, which not only makes you very sick, but can also cause the cold and numbness.  

If we think of swelling as being the cause for both problems, that is, swelling from injury or infection is tending to cut off both blood circulation and nerve impulses to that finger, then you need to get the swelling down.  If infection is causing it, you've got to see a physician.  If the injury is causing it, as long as you do indeed have sensation in your fingers, try keeping cold packs on your hand and fingers for a few days, maybe five minutes at a time, three times a day, and see if it makes your finger feel better.  If at any point your finger worsens, it's infection most likely, and no amount of cold is going to fix that; only a doc can.

I might add that it could be the red spot in your nail and the pain at the tip of your finger might be from the initial injury, be it a cut or a bruise, or even perhaps a bit of glass is imbedded in the nail and/or the tip of the finger.

If the cold packs don't help after a few days, or if your finger gets worse, I think you should definitely revisit the doc who took care of you, but if it was at the emergency department, then you may have to go to a county health department, or a general doc, or possibly a hand clinic, to get your hand and fingers re-evaluated for perhaps a nerve or circulation problem, or, in a worst-case scenario, an infection.
My stitches are already out, and cut is already sealed, still it can be an infection? I am constantly seeing doctors but was not sure. I may need some painkillers to decrease the pain and inflammation. May be can ask the doctors for the same.
Thanks for your reply.
And if its nerve problem, I was reading few articles, it may take months to fix the hand.