Neurology Community
Deep skin massage related to Vertigo

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Deep skin massage related to Vertigo

Can a deep skin massage which included the neck cause vertigo?

This discussion is related to Neck injury cause dizziness, nausea, inability to concentrate,.
Hi there!

It's an irony that something that should make you feel good eventually makes you experience something negative.  Yes deep skin massage in the neck area may cause vertigo when the blood supply called "vertebral arteries" are severely compressed by the massage.  These arteries arise from the base of your shoulders and run vertically at each side behind the neck area.  

So I suggest that next time, go easy on the neck.  Have a relaxing and worry free massage.  Good day and regards.
I'm bumping this up for the soldier who just posted about his vertigo.
I am a massage therapist and beg to differ. Massage can actually help vertigo because it decreases hypertonicity (tension) in the neck allowing freedom for the arteries to do their job better because they are allowed to dilate to their normal size rather than be constricted by hypertonic muscles.

I had physical therapy a coupleof years ago.  After I laid on my stomach having had my face in the hole in the table, I would be dizz if I moved my head.  This would last about a half hour.    I just wonder if it is related to the neuropathy t I have.???????????????????????????/
i have this problem also,

i have a VERY SORE trapezius and neck.

When i get it massaged, my dizziness gets worse.

When no one touches it, it goes alright.

The thing which cures this, is bowen therapy- look it up.

=)
i beg to differ with you. YES,  it can happen and it has happened....to me. in less than 5 hour after a massage i had vertigo so bad, it was like being spun around on a chair.

i am no doc, but when you deep massage the area of the neck, you are in a pipeline of nerves, tendons, blood vessels and....pressure on the area near the ear.

in 24 hours of my massage this passed thank god, but this should be a lesson for all those who give and get deep messages of the neck area.