Neurology Expert Forum
Degenerative Spinal Cord

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Degenerative Spinal Cord

My husband has been suffering for almost 18 years.  I just want to know before I get any deeper into this if there is a technical name for "degenerative spinal cord".  That is what we have been told he has, although their really not sure, and they don't know what is causing it.  He is now in a wheel chair, has a baclofen pump for the severe spasms and now I am afraid he is losing control of his bladder and bowels, although he says its because he is tired.  I apologize for being so vague here.  Can you please just tell me if there is a technical name for the above?  I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank-you, janet
Dear Janet:

With what you describe, I am not sure I can help.  It does sound like it is progressive.  What did the MRI image show?  We usually try to place a type of lesion into where the lesion is located in the cord.  If it is outside the cord it suggests some sort of tumor, either schwannoma or meningioma, if it is inside the cord it could be a astrocytoma or ganglioglioma.  It might also be a syringomyelia wich is a cavitation within the substance of the spinal cord. He may also have isolated spinal cord MS.  So, this might be many different things.  I am sorry that I haven't been much help.  As you neurologist what type of MRI lesion he has.  Then the diagnosis becomes much easier.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD