Neurology Community
Degenerative changes at C5-C6
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Degenerative changes at C5-C6

2yrs ago I had an MRI w/out contrast of cervical spine which showed mild degenerative changes with broad based disc osteophyte complex at C5-C6 that effaces the thecal sac, along with mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, greater on right than left. At the same time I was also dx. with right sternoclavicular joint arthritis. My tx.has included steroid injections, physical therapy, and NSAIDS. I continue to have significant pain in the cervical area, but more lately in my right shoulder blade, so severe at times that it is painful to take a deep breath.Also I have noticed tingling in my right hand and l feel as though I have a 20lb weight around my neck. I am in my mid fifties, enjoy holding my grandson, and playing a lot of golf ( used to play tennis as well, but had to give it up because of neck pain) I am getting discouraged as I am taking more advil/celebrex than I'd like, and spending a lot of time aplying ice packs...I am NOT a fan of surgery, but do you think I need to consider cervical surgery at this time? Also what would be the "down" time or recovery period? Is the surgery generally a fusion ? NGeorgia