Neurology Expert Forum
Deja vu, strange smells, and migraines

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Deja vu, strange smells, and migraines

A friend of mine has begun to experience the strangest combination of symptoms. First she gets a strong since of deja vu, whoch is immediatly followed by a smell that no one else can smell. Shortly after that she geta an intense headache. Does this sound like migraines, or something else? Its been going on for about 3 months and has happened 8 or 9 times. She is scared to go to the doctor, but I am determined to get her to one. What kind of doctor should she go to?
She should see a neurologist. The events you are describing could be the warning signs of a migraine, or possibly a seizure disorder. Try and determine if she loses awareness when these spells occur. If she loses awareness she should take precautions such as not driving, and not swimming or bathing unspuervised until she is evaluated. I agree with you she should see a doctor soon. Good luck
Is your friend smelling "phantom" smells? Smoke when no one else smells it? That is my case, also thje deja vu sensation. I have partial complex seizures, cause unknown as of yet. I do have 3 brain lesions and many neurological symptoms. I tried Neurontin it didn't help at all, even up to 1800mg a day. Now I take Keppera{Sp} and I think the dr hit on the right meds. I still have "small" seizures but it's not as bad.
Bonnie
Deja Vu and the odd smell are classic symptoms of epileptic aura.
Could you give my neuro dr any help with a diagnosis? Seriously I am going on 3 yrs with weird symptoms and no diagnosis.
Bonnie
I experienced something very strange last night while riding the subway.  All of a sudden I smelled something weird... something I've never smelled before.  It had a sort of sharp... sour... chemical-like smell to it (not a very good description).  I inhaled deeper to try to place the smell and I immediately felt like I was going to pass out... extreme vertigo... also accompanied by tunnel vision... a little ringing in the ears.  It also appeared to me as if the subway car was "smoky" or "hazy" - but only for a short time and it seemed to dissipate.  Apparently I was the only one in the car that experienced this because no one else looked bothered by anything.  I'm quite concerned only because this has never happened to me before - and in doing some research on the internet today... i've found that this is often a precursor to seizures or migraines.  I have never had seizures - nor has anyone in my family.  Any ideas?
That's exactly how my seizures were before I got on the right meds. Now I only have the smell and hazy look, along with some head "shakes".
Ask your PCP to see a neuro or at least get a proper exam.
Bonnie
A related discussion, olfactory/dejavu was started.